Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: r&b

not really read the piece yet as am at work but nihilism, and all the other vacuous shit the weeknd espouses are no longer fringe or edgy pursuits (IMO), they are more or less right there in the mainstream. i know ppl like anything a tad 'controversial' but theres also a line i think, and i think the weeknd is kind of about a society thats a little sick, doesnt help that his shtick is so rote now either....

Yeah, I honestly felt that once he did "Echoes of Silence", as a writer he was working to actually humanize the nihilism, pointing to actually describing and wrestling with the feelings of hollow loneliness. And then after that he did the proper album Kissland which like, was truly kind of just braindead. Since then its constantly waffled around between giving up the cliches and then running right back to them in desperation.

I just think the weeknd is as bland as fuck. Thinks he's Michael Jackson these days but his voice is more like Thom Yorke. Soppy.

His latest music is so bland, presumably why he's become a ubiquitous radio star. Don't really care if he's singing about coke and models he's on the level of coldplay to me.

I liked his old music but that was really all about the production.

Saying that I'm usually of the opinion that popularity indicates at least some sort of merit so I'm probably not OTM here

Quote Originally Posted by BareBones View Post
    and Tinashe is still knocking out some good singles

sorry for multiple posts it wouldn't let me do three videos in one :/
    I much preferred the demure Tinashe in " ", and that tune too

first weekend album actually had a lot of good songs. i dont buy the 'writing in character' cop out. the other thing is when hes trying to write about 'the trap' or whatever, it just sounds so silly (though im sure someone will say this is what makes it clear he is 'in character'). the single with daft punk is beyond irredeemable. the bland thing is often true - not surprising he got asked to do a song for 50 shades (though i actually thought this wasnt as bland as his other stuff)
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; 01-12-2016 at 11:26 AM.

I Can't Feel My Face was a belter, albeit super manufactured and soulless and another wannabe Jacko song.

But you could tell that one was written by someone else cos on most of his tunes he's using the same old melodies.

max martin wrote it.
    which might explain why it sounded like it could have come out in 1991.
    one thing that bugs me about the SR piece is that it basically says the weeknd can either do the anodyne mechanical vacuity he does already, or be 'woke', as if theres nothing in between, between being politicised and being an asshole lol.
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; 01-12-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Well everyone's reaching desperately for some arch narrative in lieu of this year in politics and like... You're not going to find it in something like Weeknd who's always kind of railed on the same thing. Not in a direct reference to the times. Its been "I'm sad as fuck, lemme take these pills" for the whole of the Obama Administration with him pretty much, I don't think any sense of the world around him is resulting in any less or more depression. Cue some cut-out thinkpiece on millenial self-involvement but I digress...

The funniest thing is that Reynolds instantly takes up the banter about this being a Bowie tribute and that's why he kind of forces the weirmar/Thin White Duke analogies which is a bit predictable. The first thing I thought of when he said his album was called Starboy was this:

It reminded me how a lot of Toronto's doing the faux-dancehall music (The Drake camp obviously who Abel has his on-again/off-again relationship with in particular), and Weeknd did cod-reggae on "Heaven or Los Vegas" and he did inexplicable patois on "King of the Fall". Is there that vibe anywhere on the LP or no, because it seems perfectly logical for him to make that jump.

say your album is inspired by bowie and you have instant rock critic interest, no matter what it sounds like. also, does anyone really think bowie's fame is 'harrowing'?

It can be for the famous person. IDK, maybe Reynolds is transferring book tour anxiety

New THE DREAM EP

This guy produced some stuff on Chance the Rapper's latest album. It's a bit skinny maybe, but I like the sound of the guitar.

The Weeknd blatantly wrote this, right?

I was gonna do a post about the Weeknd cos someone semi converted me to that 'I Feel It Coming' tune when I was high on drugs and I decided not to, scrolled upthread and saw my previous comments. I guess he must be doing something right, although a bit like Ed Sheeran is doing something right.