r&b

BareBones

wheezy
Also I think Eric Bellinger is underrated... he releases a lot of stuff and it's hit and miss but there's always some low key bangers on his albums. 'House Party' was the one for me a couple of years ago but this is probably the most Eric Bellinger Eric Bellinger tune yet

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've still not listened to 'Blonde' yet but 'Pink and White' off it is a little bit in the same mould as 'Cranes in the Sky'. Sentimental chords, chunky drums.

luka

I've still not listened to 'Blonde' yet but 'Pink and White' off it is a little bit in the same mould as 'Cranes in the Sky'. Sentimental chords, chunky drums.

both on the spotify 'newness' r&b playlist lol!

luka

i like how the compositions in that video are a bit too on the nose. it gives it an over earnest quality thats cute and fits the song relly well

CrowleyHead

Yeah, def. feel like Reynolds is just sort of out the ass here trying to find the thematic connections and politicize a very vapid kid but...

rubberdingyrapids

not really read the piece yet as am at work but nihilism, and all the other vacuous shit the weeknd espouses are no longer fringe or edgy pursuits (IMO), they are more or less right there in the mainstream. i know ppl like anything a tad 'controversial' but theres also a line i think, and i think the weeknd is kind of about a society thats a little sick, doesnt help that his shtick is so rote now either....

CrowleyHead

Yeah, I honestly felt that once he did "Echoes of Silence", as a writer he was working to actually humanize the nihilism, pointing to actually describing and wrestling with the feelings of hollow loneliness. And then after that he did the proper album Kissland which like, was truly kind of just braindead. Since then its constantly waffled around between giving up the cliches and then running right back to them in desperation.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I just think the weeknd is as bland as fuck. Thinks he's Michael Jackson these days but his voice is more like Thom Yorke. Soppy.

His latest music is so bland, presumably why he's become a ubiquitous radio star. Don't really care if he's singing about coke and models he's on the level of coldplay to me.

I liked his old music but that was really all about the production.

Saying that I'm usually of the opinion that popularity indicates at least some sort of merit so I'm probably not OTM here

rubberdingyrapids

first weekend album actually had a lot of good songs. i dont buy the 'writing in character' cop out. the other thing is when hes trying to write about 'the trap' or whatever, it just sounds so silly (though im sure someone will say this is what makes it clear he is 'in character'). the single with daft punk is beyond irredeemable. the bland thing is often true - not surprising he got asked to do a song for 50 shades (though i actually thought this wasnt as bland as his other stuff)

Last edited: