r&b

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Bilal

hint said:
and mr johnnie walker by tiombe lockheart, which is produced by bilal

Has Bilal been up to anything much recently in terms of his own stuff? Heard his track 'Bring 2' on The Wash soundtrack and it was awesome... so checked out that album (Second First Born or whatever) and was pretty underwhelmed. Likewise most of the guests I've heard... Tweet, Kweli, etc. although his track with Common is nice.

He just gets a bit shrieky a lot of the time. :D

For all I know there's a few albums, etc...

luka

the award for best new r&b sng from the stratford area goes to kele le roc's new one, something about getting you naked

dubplatestyle

i could definitely see myself getting annoyed by the amerie if i had a tv or drove to work.

which track on the DC did 9th wonder produce?

that raphael saadiq album that squeaked out unnoticed last year is actually pretty hot in places.

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
hint said:

Bizarre - I wasn't that keen on any of the other stuff listed on that resume, but the bobby valentino track seems like a major step forward. Like David said, major Timbaland influence going on. Haven't decided on Sex In The Kitchen yet - I figure it's basically great and I realise the lyrics are an easy target but they really are laughable.
Anyone got any 7 Aurelius (or is it the other way around) tracks to recommend? Hush is one of the best things I've heard in the last 6 months (Discovery era Daft Punk going r&b was always gonna win me over) and I know he ghosted most of the big murder inc singles for Irv Gotti but other than that I don't know what else he's done. Noticed he's been taken under the Roc 4 Life umbrella so i guess more'll be heard from him soon
I think 9th Wonder did a couple of tracks on the DC album; Girls and ... another. Quite a nice remix of Girls going round with Sean Price on it that's claiming to be a 9th wonder job, although the drums sound a bit too nice

hint

party record with a siren
michael said:
Has Bilal been up to anything much recently in terms of his own stuff? Heard his track 'Bring 2' on The Wash soundtrack and it was awesome... so checked out that album (Second First Born or whatever) and was pretty underwhelmed.

I generally steer clear of r'n'b and "big" hip hop albums because they're so often disappointing - I just stick to the singles and find I have the tracks I'd like or want to play.

mind you, I bought the new ludacris LP last week, just so I could have the potion... :D

DavidD

can't be stopped
Still loving R&B this year...i didn't see it mentioned, but Tori alamaze - don't cha is great, also that song al just put up on govt names is really nice, trackmasters R&B. Also, where is the love for the new Tweet single? And I've heard good things about the Brooke Valentine album.

everyone read carefuly

Teedra Moses - Complex Simplicity. Now close this post and check this LP lol................

jd_

DavidD said:
And I've heard good things about the Brooke Valentine album.

Long As You Come Home is my favorite from her. There's some other good stuff on her cd but she wrecks a lot of it with bad diva bits.

blacklay

DavidD said:
Also, where is the love for the new Tweet single?

I think the tweet single's nice but isn’t quite “oops (oh my)”. On listening to the album I like the track called “you”, lovely rnb without hip hop pretensions. Not my usual cup of cha and haven’t got all the way through the album but that stood out from the crowd.

…And the Amerie track is definitely big. I heard that it started off as an unofficial remix of a not very inspiring original. the accapella got about and the version that we now know came about which saved her career. Good rumour if it’s not true.

mms

sometimes
blacklay said:
…And the Amerie track is definitely big. I heard that it started off as an unofficial remix of a not very inspiring original. the accapella got about and the version that we now know came about which saved her career. Good rumour if it’s not true.

oh yes it's the bomb, big on hot 97 when my mate went to new york the other week, and the beat has been versioned over alot by various mc's i hear.
she's also got a genuinely sexy imperfect voice rather than these wailing types on so many r and b tunes nowdays.
the track was done by the guys who did 'crazy in love' but this one is much more off the wall.

jd_

112 - Closing The Club with three 6 MAfia's a good one. Sorta like Oh Yeah but with everything in the basses.

DavidD

can't be stopped
As Dave Stelfox knows, the 4-disc "Fuck Action 40" S&C R&B album by OG Ron C is GREAT. One of the guys from governmentnames did a nice write-up of it, too, you could browse the archives for it...I can't stop listening to it.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I've been thrashing that Akon tune 'Ghetto', which Luka mentioned at the start of the thread. So good!

Not so sold on that Amerie tune. The breaks-y, real drum kit sound is pretty tasty and I'm sure it'd be fun to dance to, but I have to compare it to 'Crazy In Love' and find it lacking.... 'Crazy In Love' has a really huge chorus, and the interplay between that and the sparse verses with the mad beat is a killer. This is like just those verses, without the contrast.

IMHO. :)

O

Omaar

mic - did you hear that Savage tune with Akon doing the vox?

Not great imho, but thought I'd mention it for the curious NZ connection ..

I'm personally not sold on Akon, but if you and luka are upping it maybe I outta give him a decent listen. Most of the rnb i hear is what plays on my clock radio to wake me up - tuned to Nu FM, the NZ Pacific station. It's the only station that plays music in the morning and doesn't feature morons bleating on or staging laddish pranks. But it means I only hear new rnb while I am half asleep.