r&b

luka

the ones i'm loving right now are
john legend-used to love you
mario-let me love you
and
akon-ghetto

all gorgeous songs, i might get that akon album, has anyone heard it?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i dunno jess i don't think it's been bad... then again my view of brandy's afrodisiac as one of the crowning moments of tim's career isn't shared by many people.
ashanti's only u, amerie, akon... all great... loving j.lo right now, too. seems things are looking up - spesh if yr name begins with an "a"

jd_

I really like the the John Legend too. The rest of the album didn't really do anything for me but whatever. Only U and a few r&b tunes hidden on hip hop discs, Shawnna "What Can I Do?" + Jacki-O "Pretty". I got pretty into this song "Hypnotic Love" by Adrienne--a random chinese r&b girl who's cd I found in a delete bin. It's more Britney sounding though than real r&b although there's some sort of Mya connection. The new Mariah sounded alright, I like her song with Jadakiss too. Some old stuff that I missed out on, Latrelle & Nivea. Not heard anything as good as Ciara or Christina Milian recently to be honest.

jd_

mario, akon + amerie need investigating I think. What's the Amerie tune to check out?

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
I'm guessing the Amerie tune everyone's alluding to is One Thing - huge drums (produced by Rich Harrison of Crazy In Love fame), adequate vocals. Loved it at first but got kind of boring after a while - would really benefit from a better singer.
Good to see that Mario tune get mentioned in here as well - anyone else think it's a really unlikely Scott Storch production? Amazing spacing on it, although I've found myself listening to the instrumental more than the full version.
Dunno if the guy above who mentioned Latrelle is talking about House Party but that's an amazing tune - I'd never heard it until someone burnt me a copy of one of those Max Bedroom Neptunes mixes. That and the How Many Licks remix are probably the greatest 'lost' neptunes tracks there are

Dubquixote

Submariner
Look out for that new (ehem...) Jennifer Lopez joint called "Get Right" w/ Fabolous. The production is seriously on point, with some heavy drum editing.

jd_

Yeah, House Party and Dirty Girl too. some others too but those were the main ones I was into. It didn't come out? I got the mp3z in gmail.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Amerie has a BEAUTIFUL voice, I wish the JLo single had her on it too.

My big thing right now is this gourgeous track out of ATL called "Slow Down" by Bobby Valentino from luda's crew Disturbing the Peace. You can get it here, its this shimmering middle-eastern thing sprinkled with bongos...it'll be all over the place soon, I'm sure.

Don't forget Usher's "Caught Up" - I think its much better than "Burn" or "Confessions pt 2"

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
Major thanks to David for that Bobby Valentino track - I'm guessing that's Timbaland on the beat, but either way it's one of the best things I've heard this year. Just when I was losing any faith in Timbaland as well...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
More love for that Bobby Valentino track - the beat is incredible. Most of the eastern influenced rnb songs I've heard up to now have been good, but rather less than atmospheric. This changes all that.

cooper

gragy10 said:
I'm guessing the Amerie tune everyone's alluding to is One Thing - huge drums (produced by Rich Harrison of Crazy In Love fame), adequate vocals. Loved it at first but got kind of boring after a while - would really benefit from a better singer.

hell yeah that's my joint
any rnb song that chops up an apache break is fine by me. and it's wicked minimal - basically just those drums and the electric guitar progression.

personally, i find amerie to be a more palatable version of beyonce - similar voice but not given to all those fucking annoying warbly runs. not to mention the new destiny's child album is utter shit... but 9th wonder bought a yukon off it so it's not all bad!

DavidD

can't be stopped
gragy10 said:
Major thanks to David for that Bobby Valentino track - I'm guessing that's Timbaland on the beat, but either way it's one of the best things I've heard this year. Just when I was losing any faith in Timbaland as well...
I don't think its actually timbaland, he gives a shoutout to "Tim and Bob" as his producers - I could be wrong though, "Tim" could be Timbaland. It definitely bears the mark of his influence.

hint

party record with a siren
my current faves are

one thing, still
that re-edit of mighty by tye tribbet that's currently floating around
and mr johnnie walker by tiombe lockheart, which is produced by bilal