r&b

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I Can't Feel My Face was a belter, albeit super manufactured and soulless and another wannabe Jacko song.

But you could tell that one was written by someone else cos on most of his tunes he's using the same old melodies.

rubberdingyrapids

max martin wrote it.
which might explain why it sounded like it could have come out in 1991.
one thing that bugs me about the SR piece is that it basically says the weeknd can either do the anodyne mechanical vacuity he does already, or be 'woke', as if theres nothing in between, between being politicised and being an asshole lol.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Well everyone's reaching desperately for some arch narrative in lieu of this year in politics and like... You're not going to find it in something like Weeknd who's always kind of railed on the same thing. Not in a direct reference to the times. Its been "I'm sad as fuck, lemme take these pills" for the whole of the Obama Administration with him pretty much, I don't think any sense of the world around him is resulting in any less or more depression. Cue some cut-out thinkpiece on millenial self-involvement but I digress...

The funniest thing is that Reynolds instantly takes up the banter about this being a Bowie tribute and that's why he kind of forces the weirmar/Thin White Duke analogies which is a bit predictable. The first thing I thought of when he said his album was called Starboy was this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V--4E5iVHQs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It reminded me how a lot of Toronto's doing the faux-dancehall music (The Drake camp obviously who Abel has his on-again/off-again relationship with in particular), and Weeknd did cod-reggae on "Heaven or Los Vegas" and he did inexplicable patois on "King of the Fall". Is there that vibe anywhere on the LP or no, because it seems perfectly logical for him to make that jump.

rubberdingyrapids

say your album is inspired by bowie and you have instant rock critic interest, no matter what it sounds like. also, does anyone really think bowie's fame is 'harrowing'?

entertainment

This guy produced some stuff on Chance the Rapper's latest album. It's a bit skinny maybe, but I like the sound of the guitar.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:track:1F2HXIJrE2Xn81OzT2zZvW" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

The Weeknd blatantly wrote this, right?

I was gonna do a post about the Weeknd cos someone semi converted me to that 'I Feel It Coming' tune when I was high on drugs and I decided not to, scrolled upthread and saw my previous comments. I guess he must be doing something right, although a bit like Ed Sheeran is doing something right.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Been putting off listening to that cos its 40 fucking tracks long

But I have heard it might be worth it

I guess now more than ever we need an R Kelly substitute :eek:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
On the subject of which

Am I not allowed to enjoy Ignition RMX anymore? Seems a terrible shame

I didn't mind when the Lost Prophets bloke turned out to be evil

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Been putting off listening to that cos its 40 fucking tracks long

But I have heard it might be worth it

I guess now more than ever we need an R Kelly substitute :eek:

I listened to the first 10 or so tracks of this playing Spyro the Dragon yesterday evening and its pretty damn good. Nothing standing out but consistently singalongable.