James Baldwin

version

He came up in another thread a while back, but the search function isn't throwing it up so seems as good a time as any to make one. They've got I Am Not Your Negro up on iPlayer atm...

... some of his essays have been republished/recirculating online...

... and apparently his books are flying off the shelves, along with a bunch of other black authors'.

jenks

thread death
Watched I Am Not Your Negro the other night - the footage of him on talk shows and at the Oxford Union are particularly affecting - clearly the brightest guy in the room having to explain to his white audience how racism works. He has a dignity and quiet rage yet an utterly articulate manner in answering his questioners. Intercutting recent film only adds to the overall poignancy.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
The Artist’s Struggle For Integrity is an assault on the gates of enlightenment. Heard excerpts in various mixes for decades and it always punches through the crap of life. This clip is succinct enough to summarise

sufi

lala
He came up in another thread a while back, but the search function isn't throwing it up so seems as good a time as any to make one. They've got I Am Not Your Negro up on iPlayer atm...

... some of his essays have been republished/recirculating online...

... and apparently his books are flying off the shelves, along with a bunch of other black authors'.
Give search another try? You can cross refer

catalog

i really enjoyed 'another country', wouod highly recommend, but i've not read anything further.

there's another i was looking at, the one that was his breakout novel, about his dad, i think that sounds really good.

version

I have always been struck, in America, by an emotional poverty so bottomless, and a terror of human life, of human touch, so deep, that virtually no American appears able to achieve any viable, organic connection between his public stance and his private life. …

This failure of the private life has always had the most devastating effect on American public conduct, and on black-white relations. If Americans were not so terrified of their private selves, they would never have become so dependent on what they call “the Negro problem.”