Joseph Beuys

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
it's a master troll move really, become the lamest artist in the world and then make a portrait of your rival in your signature aesthetic style, pretend he's part of your gang, of your movement.

catalog

Interesting bit of blurb in the Lucian Freud exhibition, how he often painted people with their dogs. And apparently said he liked doing nudes cos it made people more like animals.

Seems Beuys was also interested in that aspect, as are a few other artists (eg Marcus Coates) that I like.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Had it not been for the Tartars I would not be alive today. They were the nomads of the Crimea, in what was then no man's land between the Russian and German fronts, and favoured neither side. I had already struck up a good relationship with them, and often wandered off to sit with them. 'Du nix njemcky' they would say, 'du Tartar,' and try to persuade me to join their clan. Their nomadic ways attracted me of course, although by that time their movements had been restricted. Yet, it was they who discovered me in the snow after the crash, when the German search parties had given up. I was still unconscious then and only came round completely after twelve days or so, and by then I was back in a German field hospital. So the memories I have of that time are images that penetrated my consciousness. The last thing I remember was that it was too late to jump, too late for the parachutes to open. That must have been a couple of seconds before hitting the ground. Luckily I was not strapped in – I always preferred free movement to safety belts… My friend was strapped in and he was atomized on impact – there was almost nothing to be found of him afterwards. But I must have shot through the windscreen as it flew back at the same speed as the plane hit the ground and that saved me, though I had bad skull and jaw injuries. Then the tail flipped over and I was completely buried in the snow. That's how the Tartars found me days later. I remember voices saying 'Voda' (Water), then the felt of their tents, and the dense pungent smell of cheese, fat and milk. They covered my body in fat to help it regenerate warmth, and wrapped it in felt as an insulator to keep warmth in."
Surely not true though is it?
Not a big fan of Beuys to be honest. Big figure but just never touched me somehow.

joseph-beuys-everyone-is-an-artist.jpg

Who was the guy who did an artwork with a picture of Beuys that said "Proof that not everyone is an artist"? Guy from East London, I forget his name now but it's kinda several names if you know what I mean, he sounds like more than one person.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The only thing I know about him is that it's possible he faked that story about the tartars rescuing him.

He seems to have been a big deal for artists in the 70s, but sort of forgotten now.
Not sure he's forgotten really, he seems to be someone whose work I have seen a lot in various galleries. In Dusseldorf - which I've been to a few times - of course there is loads of his stuff but whenever I go to a gallery I seem to see some of his work. In fact I think it may be that familiarity which has bred a sort of contempt in me. Also, perhaps with people who create a kind of mythology or world as he does, you have to etiher accept it or not, you are drawn in or you remain outside. WIth Beuys and his shamanic fat and felt thing it never grabbed me and I have always felt that I was on the outside of what he was doing, I never got over that first hurdle and thus he has always left me cold.

william_kent

always thought he was a bit of a chancer - if I was robbing a house I wouldn't be leaving with a tub of lard as my ill gotten gains, yet galleries pay big money for a cardboard box with some rancid lard?