Films set in and around Hollywood in and around the Golden Age of Hollywood

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't know what it is but I love it when films are set in and around the lots of Hollywood in 30s or 40s or 50s etc. I'm being deliberately vague with the title there, go as wide as you want in how you define it.

I've no idea if it will be any good or really what it's about but I thought of this thread when I happened to see a trailer for a film called Babylon

I suppose that from reading the precis of Babylon which says it's set during the transition to talkies I guess I should also mention Singing in the Rain.

One of the perfect examples is Hail, Caesar! the Coen Brothers thing. You could hardly claim it's a great movie and it's so slight that it feels unfinished, but I just loved the setting, particularly the real life characters and the nods to real life characters played by Tilda Swinton. I really wished that it went on longer cos I was so enjoying being in that world even though nothing really happened.

Gore Vidal's book Myra Breckinridge goes into a lot of stuff about Hollywood and although the film adaptation is incredibly schlocky and kitschy in comparison, I guess it still counts as it has a load of clips from classic films. Possibly the sex-change storyline might not go down so well these days, in fact I guess it didn't go down so well at the time "The picture was controversial for its sexual explicitness (including acts like female-on-male rape), but it, unlike the novel, received little to no critical praise and has been cited as one of the worst films ever made."

Woody Allen's Cafe Society is another slight and silly one that I enjoyed purely cos of the way it looks if I'm honest.

I've read the book of Day of the Locust but never seen the film, does anyone know if it's any good? I always wonder if it's just a coincidence that one of the main characters is called Homer Simpson, or was Matt Groening a fan?

LA Confidential just about tenuously comes in here cos of the plotline where there are prostitutes who look just like the starlets - and also cos I'm particularly interested in the dark side of the period, or I guess the contrast between the glamour on the surface and all the dodgy stuff that went on behind the scenes unhindered by prying eyes with cellphone cameras. The sort of stuff in Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon or which was touched on in that blog about Laurel Canyone which I know a few of us read.

Similarly I suppose that we could call Sunset Boulevalrd a film about Hollywood, but I'm really interested in stuff with studio fixers interacting with gangsters and stuff, I think Ellroy may have written other books that touch on that but I really want to see it on screen, I love the way the sun always seems to shine on those magical backlots and the colours seem so much bolder and brighter than they do in real life.

If anyone can suggest a film which marries the look of that with a genuinely dark storyline of sleaze, gangsters and addiction to prescription drugs I will be eternally grateful.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There was a tv series set in Hollywood before the war which I happened to see a bit of one evening, anyone know what that might have been? Perhaps I should check that out too.

version

I watched one of the Babylon trailers the other day and thought it looked terrible, like some jumble of Tarantino and Scorsese. Surprising too as it's Chazelle - Whiplash, First Man - and I was expecting something much more restrained.

It doesn't help that it stars Pitt and Robbie which immediately makes it feel like a retread of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. You're just waiting for Leo to pop up.

version

I haven't seen either, but Netflix did Mank with Fincher and they've got the new Monroe film, Blonde.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Barton Fink and The Aviator come to mind.

Oh Barton Fink is a good call. Never seen The Aviator.

Last time I went to NY which was about fifteen years ago I guess, we stayed in a hotel which was called Hotel Jane, it kinda reminded me of the place in Barton Fink but it was only when I saw that it had the same motto that I realised it was deliberately modelled on it.

Jane-Hotel-American-Seamens-Friend-Society-Sailors-Home-and-Institute-Jane-Street-Greenwich-Village-Hudson-River-Landmark-NYC_13.jpg

the-jane-hotel-new-york1.jpg

5aa8b2d8bd5bd85d917b7f371b594cff

Last edited:

version

I remember liking Ed Wood, but it's been years since I've seen it. Think I might find Depp too irritating nowadays. Landau's probably still good though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched one of the Babylon trailers the other day and thought it looked terrible, like some jumble of Tarantino and Scorsese. Surprising too as it's Chazelle - Whiplash, First Man - and I was expecting something much more restrained.

It doesn't help that it stars Pitt and Robbie which immediately makes it feel like a retread of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. You're just waiting for Leo to pop up.
I'm not sure that that trailer grabbed me very much either, I couldn't really see much in it that drew me in or even looked interesting.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I guess Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is too late for the period I'm talking about but otherwise it would be just right. I think with these films I've a higher tolerance than I usually would have for films where nothing really happens, I can just sort of soak up the atmosphere in a way that would bore me if the atmosphere was different.

version

Those big, wacky ensemble pieces have really started to grate. Wes Anderson, the Coens, Tarantino, now Chazelle and David O. Russell's got one on the way too.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Certainly it's become a kind of genre in its own right now. I can see the appeal to the makers cos they can advertise them on the strength of the cast which looks as though there are a billion a-list actors in it, and there are, but many of them have just cameos or bit-parts so it's kinda cynical.

I just watched that trailer above and I have no idea what it's about except to say it has a lot of famous people and it's in the, what, 30s? And someone dies. I get that a trailer has to tread a line between revealing too much and not enough but the above gave me no idea of about it beyond fuck the plot check out the cast baby!

IdleRich

IdleRich
From wikipedia, the cast list is ten times as long as the plot.

The film stars an ensemble cast, led by Christian Bale, Margot Robbie, and John David Washington, featuring Chris Rock, Anya Taylor-Joy, Zoe Saldaña, Mike Myers, Michael Shannon, Timothy Olyphant, Andrea Riseborough, Taylor Swift, Matthias Schoenaerts, Alessandro Nivola, Rami Malek, and Robert De Niro. Three friends—a doctor, a nurse, and an attorney—become the prime suspects in a murder in the 1930s

I'll be honest, I only shared that to show off that I got the decade right.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There was a tv series set in Hollywood before the war which I happened to see a bit of one evening, anyone know what that might have been? Perhaps I should check that out too.

I guess it was this... seems it was cancelled after one series so may leave me unsatisfied but if I was telling the truth about the atmosphere being enough I shouldn't complain.