Scotland (Edinburgh and Glasgow)

IdleRich

IdleRich
In summer gonna go and meet family for a holiday in Orkney. They are going for two weeks but I think that might be too much for us to handle them, so I'm thinking we might spend a week apart from them, few days in Glasgow and few days in Edinburgh maybe. So wondering what's good there and so on, but also, would if possible like to get some DJ-ing and defray the cost if at all possible, so particularly interested in the nightlife in those two places and kinda smallish leftfield clubs etc any contacts etc would be useful. Help me out.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I went to Edinburgh with work around Christmas 2021. Didn't have time to do anything interesting, just squeezed in a visit to the national gallery and saw some touristy sights. It was very cold and wet (obviously) but I was still faintly bewitched by it, I'd like to visit when the weather was nicer. The best thing about it as far as I was concerned was that you could see actual snow-capped mountains from certain vantage points.

I'd like to go out in Glasgow but for the most part its the mountains/vistas that attract me to visiting Scotland.

Also on the train up to Edinburgh we passed through / along the Northumberland coast, it was sunny that day and absolutely stunningly beautiful.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well we gonna spend a week or so in Orkney which will mean pretty much day after day of walking through endless muddy fields in the pouring rain to look at either prehistoric buildings or birds on cliffs or, I dunno, the Old Man of Hoy or something, so we'll get plenty of Scottish nature there.

Theoldman ofhoy.jpeg

SkaraBrar.jpg

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Orkney is incredible as in stretches credibility

If the weather calms hit the monuments, particularly humbling places, a mix of architectural hubris and awe all set in a temporal otherworld

IdleRich

IdleRich
I have been there a few times over the years cos my grandmother that isn't from the Welsh island Anglesey is from one of the Orkney islands (and just in case anyone needs more info to access my account, my mother's maiden name was Jones), though, I'm ashamed to admit, I don't actually know which of them was her birthplace and where she grew up. I have a strong feeling that it wasn't the Main Island though. I remember that when she was really old we went up to visit her in Manchester and she started telling a rambling sort of story which at first I thought (and probably Dad did too to be fair) was just senile gibberish but which slowly started to make sense, and I think the gist of it was that, as a schoolgirl playing with a friend one of them fell through the earth into what turned out to be an unknown (at the time) ancient settlement along the lines of skara brae. But I suppose that there are a fair few of those scattered over the archipelago so that doesn't narrow it down that much. Also it may have been that she went to school on a different island to the one that she actually lived on if that were too small to have its own school.

Anyway, point is, we should have loads of stuff to do in Orkney cos I've been there a few times and mum and dad have been there more, and I think some cousins and uncles and aunts etc from Manchester might come along too and probably we even got some distant second cousins three times removed or something still living in the islands who will invite us round for a piss-up, or, if we're lucky, an Orkney High Tea - ie Orkney is covered, but what we don't know about is the non-Orkney bits of Scotland. Seems we sort of know a guy involved with Clyde-Built Radio so already looks like a guest spot there is on the cards, but it would be fucking ace if we could play in a little club in either Glasgow or Edinburgh or both.