EDM as in the huge megafestival megagenre thing

phil.

Funny sidenote that heir to the Benihana fortune Steve Aoki was a hardcore kid back in the '90s, Rainer Maria once mentioned he used to book them for house shows. Slight relevance to the point that this kinda music is more rock-oriented.

Don't really have enough knowledge to fill in all the gaps here, but it seems to me as an American who grew up with the stuff as it was taking off, that a lot of it can be traced back to French house. Daft Punk certainly courted a rock audiance and got it. I hear a lot of Daft Punk & Boys Noize in 'blog house' which ultimately has a greater bearing on the sound of Skrillex-era dubstep than dubstep proper to my ear.

The dubstep-to-edm path is interesting tho, for a while Excision had one of the most downloaded mixes on Barefiles and you check the tracklist 7/24 of the songs are Distance tunes. He put out Sully's first single though so take the good with the bad I guess.

DannyL

Wild Horses
There seems to be something about the big party aspect of it that's really gross. It's like concentrated frat boys or something. Has anyone ever been to one of these mega-raves? Be interested in hearing a first hand account.

catalog

I went to sonar does that count? 2001 when it thd night part was in a big expo hall outside Barcelona.

Saw Jeff Mills and when he dropped the bells, cheerleaders with pompoms came out. Some Spanish bloke pissed on my leg too.

catalog

Basically the crowd was so thick, no one could be arsed to leave cos there's no way you'd find anyone again. Pre smartphone era. I got lost during sonic youth and I was on acid, just stayed lost for the next 7 hours. But found my 2 friends again at storms closing set outdoors.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I went to sonar does that count? 2001 when it thd night part was in a big expo hall outside Barcelona.

Saw Jeff Mills and when he dropped the bells, cheerleaders with pompoms came out. Some Spanish bloke pissed on my leg too.
I don't think it quite counts. I wanted to hear from someone deafened by terrible techno played by a guy with a mouse's head.

IdleRich

IdleRich

I don't think it counts as EDM, but maybe the vibe of any party over a certain size can't help but converge on a certain kind of vibe. But I suppose that that's the question really, we need someone who had been to loads of festivals of various types with millions of attendees to tell us whether or not the EDM ones are significantly different.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Basically the crowd was so thick, no one could be arsed to leave cos there's no way you'd find anyone again. Pre smartphone era. I got lost during sonic youth and I was on acid, just stayed lost for the next 7 hours. But found my 2 friends again at storms closing set outdoors.
Yeah this is what I wonder about when I see clips of these humongous festivals and the audience for the stars is just jammed together. It's called EDanceM but how can people dance in that situation? And how can they have fun... or even stay alive for more than a few minutes. When i see those pics I think, surely that's just a photo grabbed at a strange moment, it can't be like that fir hours on end...