Indian Food

shakahislop

Nepalis really got about over the last decade or so.
more than anywhere else, with arguably the exception of central america, the bangladesh-nepal-pakistan axis is the world's supply of cheap labour. you see it all over the rich countries of europe, the middle east and i think to some extent east asia. it's quite a big part of what's going on in the world i think, or at least a factor worth talking about. our whole world is intertwined with this particular demographic. rose sellers in napoli. the construction of the infrastucture of the rich gulf cities. a lot of the clothes we wear. uk food delivery seems to be all south asians the few times i've got it. nepalis seem to have the 'cheap warzone security contractor' gig on lock for some reason. and so on.

it's not as simple as those places just having quite large numbers of poor people in i think. you barely meet afghans fulfilling that kind of role. or burmese people, central asians, sri lankans, laotians. etc. i'm not sure exactly what it is though; possibly just that the international networks are so well established, those places have a lot of contact with the rich countries of the world.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
more than anywhere else, with arguably the exception of central america, the bangladesh-nepal-pakistan axis is the world's supply of cheap labour. you see it all over the rich countries of europe, the middle east and i think to some extent east asia. it's quite a big part of what's going on in the world i think, or at least a factor worth talking about. our whole world is intertwined with this particular demographic. rose sellers in napoli. the construction of the infrastucture of the rich gulf cities. a lot of the clothes we wear. uk food delivery seems to be all south asians the few times i've got it. nepalis seem to have the 'cheap warzone security contractor' gig on lock for some reason. and so on.

it's not as simple as those places just having quite large numbers of poor people in i think. you barely meet afghans fulfilling that kind of role. or burmese people, central asians, sri lankans, laotians. etc. i'm not sure exactly what it is though; possibly just that the international networks are so well established, those places have a lot of contact with the rich countries of the world.
One of the major characters in Squid Game was a South Asian immigrant labourer, wasn't he?

1679326541514.png

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
we don't have vegans on this board. Gus is a vegetarian. you might be mixing them up?
No, I distinctly remember droid giving me a massive hard time about eating meat years ago, making a strong case for the ecological benefits of veganism etc., so I assumed he was vegan himself. Turns out he was a chicken-grease-smeared hypocrite the whole time!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm sure I made an argument for eating less meat, it's common sense. I doubt I gave you a hard time about your own eating habits. Why would I bother when there are so many other things you could be pilloried for?
It's great to have the old droid back.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh god, it was ages ago. Would take me a while to find. Of course I get that there are arguments for eating less meat.

If you truly wanted to settle it you could ask the archivist.

Why would I bother when there are so many other things you could be pilloried for?

Pilloried! Every so often, just that once in a while someone really nails it; the expression "Le mot juste" is overused but here it is perfectly justified... le phrase juste if you like. Savage beauty in that post. The pseudo-poets amongst us must be green with envy.

Reactions: Leo

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Murphy’s curry via Shima

melt butter and lightly toast a bunch of spices in it - cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, turmeric, mustard, fenugreek/methi, black pepper, curry leaves... don’t let them burn/very low heat

peel chop 3 large onions, bulb of garlic, two thumb sized chunks of peeled ginger, add to wok increasing temp and fry for about 10 minutes, if you have a whizzer blitz em and you’ll finish with smoother sauce if that’s what you prefer

add tomato purée, add appropriate stock of choice, add coconut milk, add tamarind, add a bit of diced tomato, reduce to simmer 3-4 hours steady (don’t let it catch)

you can salt, add sweetness from lemon juice or leaf coriander, brighten it with a tablespoon of ketchup or add cane sugar, remember it’s easier to add more later than subtract and if you ever over reduce sauce add a bit of water

for veggies fry off a bunch of your choosing and wang in, for beef get it in early or it’ll get chewy, lamb slightly less, chi less cooking time again (cover chicken in seasoned flower, pan fry and add and you’ll get texture plus a thicker sauce but it’s overly fiddly), fish far less, king prawns I’d griddle fry separately and just cover in the gravy plating, garnish with spring onions/scallions...i

same mate’s mum does one with mangoes, obviously more sour/sweet but banging too