price of cds

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
new depeche mode album (single cd - domestic release - not the fancy packaging version which costs £22) £18 in both HMV and indie store I checked the other day...

Leo

can get new ones here for $12-17, not much different from back in the day. Lots of cds on bandcamp from artists in UK and Europe are 10 pounds/euros, but then you have to pay for shipping (which to the US is insane: recently went to buy something from Berlin, the cd was 10 euros and shipping was 22 euros).

of course, used ones are generally pretty cheap here, $4-7 with lots in the $1 bins. mostly trash but some decent things as people continue to unload their collections.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
part of the detracting factor with cd’s is the inevitability of scratched surfaces, mid-play skip glitches, which with a vinyl record you can (half) finger nudge past, not always same with cd’s

try to avoid ad-heavy streaming services or essentially paying for playlists, problem is cd marketing gimmicks being similar to dvd sets complete with booklets, extra art, tracks not included on vinyl pressings - aka gimmicks, paying 20£ for anything which also includes cases of chronic disc rot? fuck that, most of my old Coil cd releases are now unplayable fwiw

compounding the above, found part of a curly-wurly bar lodged deep in car‘s stereo recently which has prolapsed the entire cd player, pulled the caddy housing it out to be met by a hulk full of repeatedly melted caramel chocolate clots, little fuckers

Reactions: Leo

Leo

oh, cds are very far from perfect. but if I find some good old thing in the used bin for $1-3, I still might pick it up.

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
can get new ones here for $12-17, not much different from back in the day. Lots of cds on bandcamp from artists in UK and Europe are 10 pounds/euros, but then you have to pay for shipping (which to the US is insane: recently went to buy something from Berlin, the cd was 10 euros and shipping was 22 euros).

of course, used ones are generally pretty cheap here, $4-7 with lots in the $1 bins. mostly trash but some decent things as people continue to unload their collections.
I'd say generally prices for a new cd will be around £10-14 here - this was notable (it's a large indie label too)