Tribal Gathering was 30 years ago tonight.

This was the biggest proper rave I ever went to. The line up was serious.

0349774faac091392a8489a1b8073cc425ee7e56.jpg

Did anyone else go? Took at least a week to recover, which was bad for me as I was supposed to be producing and doing sound and lights for a play that week. Got the fucking bad shakes on the first night.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Was in the DiY tent most of night, not a bad event overall for the fee. The route in was a snaking insect of cars. A van passed and I’ve an image of people in the back going off, lit up like a fireworks. Never been to Warminster since

Bedlam in the supersized hardcore mega-marquee, scenes of utter chaos from walk abouts. From memory, china whites and snowballs, not the fluffiest salvos into space. Didn’t Kenny Ken play? Had this tape for JJF, long lost to time

Mr. Naga Pickle

This was the biggest proper rave I ever went to. The line up was serious.

0349774faac091392a8489a1b8073cc425ee7e56.jpg

Did anyone else go? Took at least a week to recover, which was bad for me as I was supposed to be producing and doing sound and lights for a play that week. Got the fucking bad shakes on the first night.
I wd like 2 know more abt the following performers:

- The Cooker (Bristol)
- The Original Producer
- Bongo Massive
- Joe Peng
- Willie Wee

Thank you

Leo

Looks amazing, very jealous. I assume you two spent most of the time in the Arena 3 "Planet Erotica" area. Not together, but still.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
I wd like 2 know more abt the following performers:

- The Cooker (Bristol)
- The Original Producer
- Bongo Massive
- Joe Peng
- Willie Wee

Thank you

Producer = messy mixing, not even close to the same level as loads of jocks, Tanith mix on the flip was/is funnily bad

Bongo Massive = some earnest sad cunt on bongos too high up in the mix, def not from Cuba, more likely Gloucester

Joe Peng = genuine legend, still around. He had a lazy, laconic style of surrealist observational phrases thrown in randomly against the focused mania of accompanying music. MC Ribbs/Ribbz another, more Joe Peng could take the combined chaos of anywhere from 50 punters to 10,000 and add another layer to any set = better/more fun/fluid, when to rewind, a unique presence. If you’re ever looking for a voice to add anything with flavour to a live event or musical endeavour/manoeuvre, find him (Bristol I think)

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
subject is emailing round, off a mate, there were paragraphs but it keeps splitting text

weekend was supposed to consist of a double-header in the southwest but you’re too headshot to remember - Universe after work Friday driving straight down in xxxxx’s nissan nightmare, up all day on to a Saturday night in a Herefordshire village called Wormelow not far from Credenhill, Obsession’s club night (?) in a country house seemingly run by Scouse dealers, or Lakota in Bristol as a back up (maybe, headshot too)
Universe was full of casualties but it was a weird one. Messy. The pills were weird and whatever snowballs consisted of wasn’t mdma. Loads of Pete Tong listeners in an ultra mainstream house hellhole all freaking out. Remember looking on at these Doris’s losing it? Kenny Ken on the bill? No idea. Hardcore tent people on 4-5 china whites in all sorts of shapes climbing the walls, heavy heavy casualty list. Spring 93 was last period with any good doves and if you recall a promise fell through so all of our lot ended up wrecked either jaw shivering unable to speak or lying down outside those sweat collecting tents, rarely been as battered. Stayed up all afternoon, your older sister drove and found the Hereford venue the gaff with the stately home. Bouncy dance floor. Shit rig, too many e’s, all hardcore not that the first round were anything like what you might remember doves being like but we swapped a batch with tttttttttt’s mate, proper electric love magic. Venue was oversold, all Universe zoo there, /long list of casualties/ into rapture. Got back to Bromley, how anyone is still alive after snorting unknown mixes of powders easing into bank holiday traffic is absurd. Good times for a pay party, might have been the last for you, you snob. It was chaos, china whites and snowballs would be an interesting lab test and it shows in the music if you listen to Weatherall on Kiss…a transitional year. It got more even more clubby and even more dark with competition for selling leading to more violence, stabbings, xxxx and xxx got done over bad at %%%% if you remember buying bags of brown for comedowns, beginning of the end for a few people starkly.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Was this a one off event, then? Cos i remember listening to Tribal Gathering live on Radio 1 as a nipper

It was a broadcast from an inconceivably distant, mysterious and glamorous world. Like the flyers I had blue tacked up all over my wall of Helter Skelter and Dreamscape events.

1997 was very different, much less innocent, much more Mitsubishi and Rolling Rock than Snowballs and Highland Spring. The only good time (and it was one of the times of my life) I had there was in that Tropic tent, bottom left, (minus mates I arrived with) which turned into a proper old skool revival as the sun came up.

sufi

lala
4fc96a716fb425e6d18146c5694f309407a5cba1.jpg

this was my biggest big rave night c1990 very messy, wore a bumbag
by 93 i was well out of the uk
fb0919383cb313fbdcd3d521c10fb72059d079be.jpg

was the vibe
apparently:
Perkins founded a club-night called Trance in Cheltenham in 1988, which he ran successfully for two years booking acts like acid house evangelist Ellis Dee. He teamed up with fellow Cheltenham promoters Chris Griffin and Gideon Dawson to throw Perception on September 1st 1990 at Bletchingdon Park in Oxfordshire, off the back of a license Perkins had for another black-tie event. The line-up included 808 State live, Fabio and Grooverider. Unfortunately for the young team, they weren’t prepared for how to handle the security.

“These security guards had guns in the boot and said, ‘If you don’t give us all the money you’re dead’,” Perkins explains. “I was like, ‘Are you fucking joking? You hired these people and trusted them?’ But we got lucky. We had an amazing line-up and the event itself was fantastic.”