Author's taking pathetic/brilliant and petty revenge by putting people in their books or films

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK, not a very snappy title, but it's late, I'm really high and I didn't sleep at all last night so my thoughts are not zipping and crackling around my brain with their usual... er whatever... with that in mind, I guess I will have to explain what it is I'm on about. And that is best done by example.

I'm sure that many of you are aware of the architect Erno Goldfinger - he designed the Balfron Tower in East London

1683946972870.jpeg

That ended up being effectively a prototype for the Trellick Tower in West London

53a01048-badf-11e5-b151-8e15c9a029fb

But, he is relevant in this thread because he fell out with the author Ian Fleming - or perhaps it would be better to say that Fleming fell out with him. As a result of which Fleming created a villain called Auric Goldfinger and made him the main antagonist of one of the Bond films (I forget which one). I believe that Goldfinger took Fleming to court to either stop this happening or get some compensation or something, but I think it was deemed that the change of first name was enough to make Fleming safe and allow him to get away with his amazingly petty and childish revenge.

I have to say, I'm surprised that this doesn't happen more often. If I had a platform of that nature then I would definitely use it to attack every single person who had ever crossed me. And I would be really vindictive and childish. Suppose for example I had an issue with a particular person from Dissensus, then I would create a baddie called Herring Boner and I would probably make him a failed poet who had a micropenis about which he was incredibly insecure and, as a result of which, he tried to blow up the world - or something.

Sadly I really can't think of many other examples. I do vaguely recall reading a book which I think was by Mark Manning (better known as Z from Zodiac Mindwarp and The Love Reaction) which featured an enigmatically named character Michael Loser - it didn't click with me until he described this guy as looking like "Jabba the Hutt's arsehole on legs" and of course, from that description I instantly recognised Michael Winner. I'm not sure that that one counts though, I think it was a cheap shot at a much-hated public figure, rather than a genuine act of petty spitefulness in response to some perceived slight. Still, until I can think of more real ones that will do I guess.

Over to you now. Would love to hear more examples of this, the more childish the better - although I suppose I would also be happy to hear about books where the author creates an idealised version of his or herself (or even of a friend or relative) and writes them into a book as the hero etc

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's a little-known New Age writer called Andrew Collins who churns out books about lost super-civilizations, crop circles and all that sort of stuff, and one of his books is titled The Knights of Danbury, about an English chapter of the Knights Templar - or something like that. Anyway, many years ago he got into a spat with Robert Rankin, with the result that Rankin created a recurring character that he's used in several novels, called Danbury Collins - invariably given the epithet 'psychic youth and masturbator.'

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's the sort of thing... but this guy had his own novel series which he could have easily used to retaliate in the same way, yet he chose not to? Pathetic...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That's the sort of thing... but this guy had his own novel series which he could have easily used to retaliate in the same way, yet he chose not to? Pathetic...
I think Collins writes "factual" books, rather than novels.

martin

----
Aristophanes was always taking the piss out of Euripedes, and even had him take part in a poetry contest in Hell, but it was more affectionate ribbing than actual contempt. And Jarry's Ubu was based on one of his teachers.

Muriel Spark did this with an ex in "A Far Cry From Kensington" (to the book's detriment, IMO), and William Somerset Maugham's "The Magician" is an OTT caricature of Aleister Crowley, which kicked off a catfight between the two. Also believe every Tony Parsons novel has a reference to a fat, self-absorbed, irresponsible, coke-snorting, contrarian ex-wife who abandoned her child.

Speaking of Mark Manning/Zodiac Mindwarp, there's some covert pisstaking of Rose McDowall (Strawberry Switchblade) and Fiona Russell Powell in one of his books, possibly "Crucify Me Again"?

version

One of Pynchon's college friends claimed the incredibly graphic nose job in V. was him getting back at a Jewish girl he'd gone out with.

catalog

Ricky Gervais named the annoying bloke in "the office" Gareth keenan, the keenan being a reference to David Keenan, glasweigan pop wannabe turned record shop owner turned mystical writer.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ricky Gervais named the annoying bloke in "the office" Gareth keenan, the keenan being a reference to David Keenan, glasweigan pop wannabe turned record shop owner turned mystical writer.
The idea of Gervais finding someone annoying is richly ironic.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Not that I have anything personal against Dan Brown, but I like to think that if he ever read this brutal piece of satire that unfortunately never went anywhere after the first couple of chapters, he'd explode into a fleshy mist out of sheer outrage.

william_kent

@IdleRich - Simon Raven? You came up with this first, so I'm just noting for the record that Raven was particularly spiteful about a certain Rees-Mogg fellow, and all credit is due to you for pointing this out, but for historical purposes this needs to be registered in this thread, etc.,

william_kent

512V8DuJP5L._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_ML2_.jpg

Bong Water - Michael Hornburg

I was doing some "research" and I read Courtney Love's sleazy dad's book about his disappointment with his daughter and he mentioned that if you want the real "dirt" on her time spent in Portland then this is the thinly veiled fiction that you need to read

she's a complicated character, and the author does raise the empathy levels slightly with the account of her abuse at the hands of a NY rave promoter, but...I'm not sure this account of her is entirely "sympathetic", in fact she comes across as a bit "psycho"

I believe the author of this novel may be an an ex-boyfriend of Courtney - he certainly complains enough about her "it was an accident, I carelessly knocked over a candle, honest" excuses which resulted in his flat to burning the ground

TLDR: Courtney Love's ex isn't that sympathetic about her setting fire to his flat and burning everything he owns, avenges in novel form

catalog

Billy childish on Tracey Emin in Sex crimes of the futcher. I really thought this book was amazing when I read it.

He constantly repeats a load of ranting about how much he hates various people, again and again, to the point of it becoming farcical, but somehow it works. And Tracey is the main person he directs his ire at.

I read it years and years ago and just found it laugh out loud hilarious, but unfortunately none of his other books grabbed me, in fact I found them unreadable and too maudlin.

But this one's a corker.