Prayers, hymns, bible passages you like

Benny Bunter

Book of Esther is worth a read
I'll give this a go tomorrow. I like getting random recommendations cos there's no way you can just read it in order.

I've read a load of the Psalms over the last few days, the original Myles Coverdale translations (not the ones in the King James) and the Song of Solomon which is basically just an erotic poem.Surprises me that it even made it into the bible proper cos there's no explicitly religious elements in it at all.

Really fascinating reading about the lives of the original translators into English of the bible and how they ended up - Cranmer exiled and burned at the stake, Tynedale strangled then burned, Coverdale exiled several times and eventually dying in poverty. Shakespeare is pretty much their only rival on how much influence they had on literature.

wild greens

Song of Solomon which is basically just an erotic poem.Surprises me that it even made it into the bible proper cos there's no explicitly religious elements in it at all.

Old Testament is a very different thing. I went to church a lot as a kid, family traditions and all that, and never had a fucking word mentioned about old testament, even got confirmed at 14 ffs, no clue

It was really weird reading it years later

I am agnostic now but old religious books do have certain qualities that can't be replicated. Dunno what im saying really

Benny Bunter

Yeah, at primary school we had hymns and prayers everyday and bible stories, but it was pretty much all Jesus based. You look at old testament stuff when you're a bit older and it's really, really weird.