The Canon of the Overrated

william_kent

Also, bunny wailer - blackheart man. Just seemed flat and limp to me.

yeah, sub-par offering by Bunny there, err .. maybe it should have been titled "WEAKHEART MAN"?

but if he only did one song ever then he would be totally redeemed by this twelve inch

Bunny Wailer - Rise & Shine

also, if you've ever seen the Snoop Snitch Lion documentary, then Bunny gets full marks for the shake down he performs on Snoop, screws him right over in the name of Jah, and bonus points because he let an African Queen execute the majority of the hustle

can't say I feel sorry for "snoop" - why the fuck would you record an album in JA and ask Diplo to produce it? He deserved to be ripped off, and Bunny obliged

martin

----
Some more...

SWANS - always sounded like the poor man's Test Department to me, with silly vocals on top.

BLACK FLAG - said this before on here...beyond about 3 songs, just found them mediocre and a bit cringeworthy. Even their hardcore fans don't listen to 3/4 of their stuff. And I know Rollins didn't sing on everything they did, but it's not a great look when your most infamous frontman makes Brian Rose look cool.

ARKOLOGY - I'm not trolling you, honest. Its a bit...boring? Not the best selections.
Whereas THIS cheapo ripoff release...

R-925470-1394975777-6124.jpg

is AMAZING! Knocked out on 'Sprint Records' (but all dodgy roads lead back to Jetstar -must compare the 0181 number on the back sometime) and clearly the first time someone used QuarkXpress to make the cover, but the selection's 10/10 - not a crap second on it. You get 8 tunes off Roast Fish, the 2 best songs off Double Seven, both sides of the City Too Hot/Bionic Rats 12" and some other early odds and sods. I tracked down the originals later but I always come back to this one - in the same way that Dub Chill Out is one of the greatest dub comps of all time, in my not-so-humble.

linebaugh

BLACK FLAG - said this before on here...beyond about 3 songs, just found them mediocre and a bit cringeworthy. Even their hardcore fans don't listen to 3/4 of their stuff. And I know Rollins didn't sing on everything they did, but it's not a great look when your most infamous frontman makes Brian Rose look cool.
The song My War justifies the whole discography

ghost

I think some of these guys are overrated because they represent a genre or a new turn in the river of artistic development; Aphex Twin is a metonym for the intersection of experimental and danceable electronica. DJ Shadow was the best of the Trip-Hoppers by far.

They also don't seem as great now because the background noise of their respective genres has softened and they are then judged against music in other genres, music which is incongruent.
This is probably a more interesting prompt than "musicians i don't like." Jay-Z is probably foremost in this category for me, he basically invented having a flow that sounded kinda wonky.