QR codes are really rubbish

sufi

lala
1. whose idea was it to make this non-human readable thing?
2. what's to stop you from scanning the code for the hipster menu or public info display and then replacing it with a sticker with a code diverting to a malware attack on the way to the genuine destination?? that seems like a simple hack

sufi

lala
2. what's to stop you from scanning the code for the hipster menu or public info display and then replacing it with a sticker with a code diverting to a malware attack on the way to the genuine destination?? that seems like a simple hack
"qishing" & "attagging"

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
1. whose idea was it to make this non-human readable thing?
You mean like physically replacing the QR at a restaurant with one that leads to a malicious site? I think that’s how you’d have to do it, not sure it’s possible to reroute an existing one, because they seem to be one QR permutation perk link, but maybe there are services out there that let you keep a constant QR but change the link, and if there are services like that, they can be hacked.

sufi

lala
I've just invented a holographic 3D QR code that sends you to a different site depending on the angle at which you view it.
actually making the code a fancy hologram is a good way to stop stickers being stealthily swapped, but that would be costly and defeats the object somewhat?

Can't smartphones read normal text these days anyway??

sufi

lala
Can't smartphones read normal text these days anyway??
e.g. this intrusive sounding gadget does OCR
Google Keep

We all know Google’s Keep as the cloud-based note-keeping app, a close competitor of Evernote and OneNote.
Google keeps updating the app from time to time. An interesting feature it provides, along with note-keeping, is its capability to capture the text from images.
Google Keep uses the camera and grabs the text from images. But it can do so only if the image is captured from the app.
Once the image is obtained, the text is quickly captured and stored in digital format in a note.
The text is available to the users without having to type in anything manually. The users can then delete the image from the note.
Once the text is extracted, it automatically synchronizes with the cloud on every device associated with the account.
Available for iOS and Android both, Google Keep is a free and ads-free app just like OneNote.
If mobiles can already read text then QR codes are obsolete

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
e.g. this intrusive sounding gadget does OCR

If mobiles can already read text then QR codes are obsolete
I mean, they’re still useful for facilitating access to a website. I’ve got a couple stickers with QR codes leading to my website, but if I could just have “clinamenic.com” written on the sticker, and mobile phones could detect that and automatically treat it as a hyperlink, that would seem to make QRs obsolete.

sufi

lala
preview