50 Years Later, Is There Anything Left Of Hip Hop?

craner

Beast of Burden
He thinks hip hop is dead because there are some rappers who don't have the same political views as he does.

DannyL

Wild Horses
The article didn't grab me, so I didn't read it all.

For me, the main problem with rap currently (which is different from hip hip) is the diversity. There's *so much* it's impossible to keep up with. I think this probably is leading to some great music and artists not finding their audience.

mixed_biscuits

rubberdingyrapids

rappers have always been contradictory (about community as well as hyper individualist/capitalist). its not like ice cube or krs one were spotless. not really surprising rappers today are still politically tricky to pin down or inconsistent (thats just musicians in general). its also always been about entertainment. entertainers more than anything want to get a reaction and please a crowd which will always interfere with any deeper ideas/concerns/messages. ofc hip hop has been assimilated, but not entirely, and the fact is that any genre after so many decades is going to struggle to carry the same messages/ideologies as it once did (and those date to a particular period, not the genre as a whole), and every black music genre eventually finds/aspires to a moment when it goes mainstream (just as rnb did), so rap is no different. this guy just sounds like someone who was moved and influenced deeply by hip hop, wanted it to be a certain thing, thought it WAS that thing (when it was many things), and is just dissapointed it doesnt still do that thing he liked. hed be better off finding rappers he does support, and shouting their praises.

as for this:
A good friend asked me the other day what the last universal classic album was.
how about migos' culture, future's DS2 or drake's take care, kanyes my dark twisted fantasy, to pimp a butterfly (i prefer the debut and damn but this is the one most ppl tend to talk about), chance the rapper's colouring book. or if mixtapes are allowed, young thug's 1017 thug or chief keefs back from the dead 2 (these are probably personal faves though).

Hip hop is 50, and leaning more Andrew Tate than Greg Tate.
andrew tate is a product of rap's influence. andrew tate actually is VERY hip hop.