Weird Fiction / New Weird / The Tentacle

version

Finally got round to reading some Clark Ashton Smith the other day; The Hashish Eater -or- the Apocalypse of Evil and some of his prose poetry, e.g. The Black Lake. Lovecraft's been the only one I've ever been familiar with, but there's apparently a wealth of this stuff once you get past him. I think a lot of people were introduced to Bierce and Chambers through the first season of True Detective.

@droid and @Mr. Tea seem the most clued up, but if anyone else has anything to contribute then obviously jump in.

hjv-14.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Finally got round to reading some Clark Ashton Smith the other day; The Hashish Eater -or- the Apocalypse of Evil and some of his prose poetry, e.g. The Black Lake. Lovecraft's been the only one I've ever been familiar with, but there's apparently a wealth of this stuff once you get past him. I think a lot of people were introduced to Bierce and Chambers through the first season of True Detective.

@droid and @Mr. Tea seem the most clued up, but if anyone else has anything to contribute then obviously jump in.

View attachment 17803
I've not read him, actually. What do you think so far?

version

The Hashish Eater...'s this endless torrent of description that started to sag and grate. Although his explanation did shine some light on it and I'll have to re-read it with that in mind;

"By some exaltation and expansion of cosmic consciousness, rather than a mere drug, used here as a symbol, the dreamer is carried to a height from which he beholds the strange and multiform scenes of existence in alien worlds; he maintains control of his visions, evokes and dismisses them at will. Then, in a state similar to the Buddhic plane, he is able to mingle with them and identify himself with their actors and objects. Still later, there is a transition in which the visions, and the monstrous and demonic forces he has evoked, begin to overpower him, to hurry him on helplessly, under circumstances of fright and panic. Armies of fiends and monsters, many drawn from the worlds of myth and fable, muster against him, pursue him through a terrible cosmos, and he is driven at last to the verge of a gulf into which falls in cataracts the ruin and rubble of the universe; a gulf from which the face of infinity itself, in all its awful blankness, beyond stars and worlds, beyond created things, even fiends and monsters, rises up to confront him."

The short prose pieces I immediately got into. Borgesian fragments depicting strange landscapes, creatures and structures. Also reminded me of Baudelaire.

The Garden and the Tomb​

I know a garden of flowers - flowers lovely and marvellous and multiform as the orchids of far, exotic worlds - as the flowers of manifold petal, whose colours change as if by enchantment in the alternation of the triple suns; flowers like tiger lilies from the garden of Satan; like the paler lilies of Paradise, or the amaranths on whose perfect and immortal beauty the seraphim so often ponder; flowers fierce and splendid like the crimson or golden flowers of fire; flowers bright and cold as the crystal flowers of snow; flowers whereof there is no likeness in any world of any sun; which have no symbol in heaven or in hell.

Alas! in the heart of the garden is a tomb - a tomb so trellised and embowered with vine and blossom, that the sunlight reveals the ghastly gleam of its marble to no careless or incurious scrutiny, But in the night, when all the flowers are still, and their perfumes are faint as the breathing of children in slumber - then, and then only, the serpents bred of corruption crawl from the tomb, and trail the fetor and phosphorescence of their abiding-place from end to end of the garden.

version

"Fixing my mind once more on the goal of the experiment, I became aware that the misty walls had vanished like a drawn arras. About me, like reflections in rippled water, dim sceneries wavered and shifted, erasing one another from instant to instant. I seemed to hear a vague but ever-present sound, more musical than the murmurs of air, water or fire, which was a property of the unknown element that environed me.

With a sense of troublous familiarity, I beheld the blurred unstable pictures which flowed past me upon this never-resting medium. Orient temples, flashing with sun-struck bronze and gold; the sharp, crowded gables and spires of medieval cities; tropic and northern forests; the costumes and physiognomies of the Levant, of Persia, of old Rome and Carthage, went by like blown, flying mirages. Each succeeding tableau belonged to a more ancient period than the one before it — and I knew that each was a scene from some former existence of my own."

luka

troublous is the sort of antiquated word Stan uses where you think, lol, thats not a word but when you look it up it actually is just that it was last seen in the wild in 1744 or whatever

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
On the topic of C.A.S.:

The artist and weird fiction author Clark Ashton Smith was good mates with H. P. Lovecraft, despite being a sort of anti-Lovecraft in his personal life (big drinker and smoker, something of a ladies' man), and when he was commissioned to illustrate HPL's story 'The Lurking Fear', he decided to troll his prudish friend by drawing trees that looked suspiciously like they had breasts or genitals, and with various suspiciously phallic 'plants' and 'fungi' sprouting from the ground:

View attachment 7240

However, the intended joke fell flat, because Lovecraft was so uninterested in sex that - as far as we know - he never even noticed.

version

This is why I thought you'd read him, but when I ran a search you've actually just told that anecdote over and over. Maybe we too have been trapped by a vengeful god.

version

The Mirror in the Hall of Ebony​

Clark Ashton Smith

From the nethermost profound of slumber, from a gulf beyond the sun and stars that illume the Lethean shoals and the vague lands of somnolent visions, I floated on a black unrippling tide to the dark threshold of a dream. And in this dream I stood at the end of a long hall that was ceiled and floored and walled with black ebony, and was lit with a light that fell not from the sun or moon nor from any lamp. The hall was without doors or windows, and at the further extreme an oval mirror was framed in the wall. And standing there, I remembered nothing of all that had been; and the other dreams of sleep, and the dream of birth and of everything thereafter, were alike forgotten. And forgotten too was the name I had found among men, and the other names whereby the daughters of dream had known me; and memory was no older than my coming to that hall. But I wondered not, nor was I troubled thereby, and naught was strange to me: for the tide that had borne me to this threshold was the tide of Lethe.

Anon, though I knew not why, my feet were drawn adown the hall, and I approached the oval mirror. And in the mirror I beheld the haggard face that was mine, and the red mark on the cheek where one I loved had struck me in her anger, and the mark on the throat where her lips had kissed me in amorous devotion. And, seeing this, I remembered all that had been; and the other dreams of sleep, and the dream of birth and of everything thereafter, alike returned to me. And thus I recalled the name I had assumed beneath the terrene sun, and the names I had borne beneath the suns of sleep and of reverie. And I marvelled much, and was enormously troubled, and all things were most strange to me, and all things were as of yore.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This is why I thought you'd read him, but when I ran a search you've actually just told that anecdote over and over. Maybe we too have been trapped by a vengeful god.
Yeah, I just searched for it on here and realised I'd said it twice. Ah well.