BC or UR?

• Total voters

dilbert1

See, through the self-critical sniper scope lens of dissensus, if you vote UR you’re an authenticity mongering negrophile, picking what you know to be the ‘right’ answer instead of using your ears, and if BC an even worse case since its a slicked down, repackaged-by-Germans blackness but with all the risk and dazzle removed, cloaked over, like the shame of nakedness in the Garden of Eden. Detroit built an entire house, and these guys choose to stay locked up and stoned out of their gourd in a bedroom closet at the far end, flicking the lights on and off to induce palinopsia. They should be so lucky to pay rent to their landlords.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
BC could never pull off a tune like Hardlife, not that they should’ve, spanning garage deeper house licks and a vocal chorus of mercurial transcendence

chava

BC without a doubt. UR are great, but not unique, unless Robert Hood early solo stuff counts. And Mark Ernestus is one of the best producers ever when he works with Jeri Jeri/Ndagga:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm not particularly knowledgeable about either of their catalogs but it's tunes like this, hi tech jazz, Jupiter jazz and timeline that make it UR for me (also like some of the harder stuff I've heard like suburban knight).

Beautiful euphoric chords basically

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
BC without a doubt. UR are great, but not unique, unless Robert Hood early solo stuff counts.

His stuff as x101-102-103 counts imo. how aren't they unique when berlin techno has been aping them for the past 30 years? Tresor techno hasn't evolved since 92-93. The UK people like Landstrumm, Subhead, Vogel etc tried to change that but even they have now been sidelined in the historiography.

if anything, sheffield bleep is truly unique vis-a-vis basic channel. I mean, I think BC is unique, but chronologically who came first?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
derail but

The fact is Basic Channel are unique and pivotal because Berlin have always been latecomers. Like UR, they set up a template of how proper techno should be, and the city has been cannibalising it for the past 30 years. too much concerned with 24 hour partying and undisciplined shagathons. UK and midwest techno might not have singular innovators/ecosystems in the same way, but that indicates that they have been much more vibrant scenes, that is until the berlin vortex swallowed everything.

I remember thinking the whole UK bass music hype in that city was completely absurd. it was like they hadn't ever heard any early uk breakbeat or dubby techno.

Eze Ozo - How To Stay Alive

1991 UK bass music for you!

This sounds like I'm bashing basic channel but I'm not. I love them. Cyrus enforcement and phylyps trak 2/1 are my favourite techno tracks of all time. and q1.1 and radiance are still mindblowing to this day.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
but in sum I don't think its an either/or because there is hardly any dub in UR, which goes for detroit techno proper which has no relation to dub. The reggae roots in techno is an interesting hypothetical but it only really holds for UK techno. Outside of BC, german techno is either trancey or Jeff Mills, cold and minimal.

So whilst I voted for UR I don't see the comparison whatsoever.
it's a dichotomy set up by those mostly ignorant of techno. A bit like people who compare Basic Channel to Studio Einz.

I don't even care much for techno these days so damn you version for making me make this argument. cowardly.

AUDIENCE MEMBER
Me too, but you’re probably more because you worked with him. Earlier you said that Cologne sound didn’t have, it wasn’t like Detroit or Chicago. I mean, I think that it draws a lot from Chicago Trax and a lot from Rob Hood or Dan Bell but also from Berlin, Basic Channel. There’s a lot of Basic Channel in those Studio 1 records to me. You don’t think so?
MICHAEL MAYER
No, don’t think so.
TORSTEN SCHMIDT
Uh oh. Our response is over.
AUDIENCE MEMBER
It’s just what hear, OK?
MICHAEL MAYER
Basic Channel is dub. Studio 1 is not dub at all. It’s totally dry, minimal.

chava

but in sum I don't think its an either/or because there is hardly any dub in UR, which goes for detroit techno proper which has no relation to dub. The reggae roots in techno is an interesting hypothetical but it only really holds for UK techno. Outside of BC, german techno is either trancey or Jeff Mills, cold and minimal.

So whilst I voted for UR I don't see the comparison whatsoever.
it's a dichotomy set up by those mostly ignorant of techno. A bit like people who compare Basic Channel to Studio Einz.

I don't even care much for techno these days so damn you version for making me make this argument. cowardly.
Yeah, they are two seperate things. You are right on about Berlin, it was never a producers city in the 90s, only BC and Klaus Kotai did something worthwhile. I don't see UR as unique as they did too many different things, and to me it's hard to distinguish a true UR sound. When they split up it's a different thing; Hood, Mills and Banks each developed their own distinct style - way better than when they were a collective. Hood's stuff on his own label is when he really gets going.

I don't care whoever was first chronologically, I think that's another discussion really.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
well for me the members of UR have made more stand out tracks than BC, but in a way that's inevitable, esp when you go into the hispanic latin contingent. So I see where you're coming from, in that sense Basic Channel have a singular sound.

The chronology is another discussion I agree but I think if we're talking about innovation (which I wasn't necessarily) then I think the chronology becomes more important.