garish 90s techno rave graphics

daddek

. There was no hope of being any higher fidelity, of ever looking corporate, it looked and sounded like what it was,
Nowadays ofc users have to work against the grain of computer tooling for it to sound or look pedestrian; it wants to glide you toward corporate level gloss . adobe creative cloud , apple logic etc. I don't think it's weirdly disingenuous or retro for new young creators to try to push against that and stay lower fidelity. That hyperpop 2015 wave to me felt like more of a concession rather than any sort of conceptual breakthrough honestly.

version

Nowadays ofc users have to work against the grain of computer tooling for it to sound or look pedestrian; it wants to glide you toward corporate level gloss . adobe creative cloud , apple logic etc. I don't think it's weirdly disingenuous or retro for new young creators to try to push against that and stay lower fidelity. That hyperpop 2015 wave to me felt like more of a concession rather than any sort of conceptual breakthrough honestly.

What do you make of the vaporwave corporate 80s thing? That's kind of straddling the two. A concession to corporate aesthetics, but an abandoned, lower fidelity corporate aesthetic.

0bleak

I'm probably being too limiting by just applying this to just music instead of a whole cultural thing.

daddek

What do you make of the vaporwave corporate 80s thing? That's kind of straddling the two. A concession to corporate aesthetics, but an abandoned, lower fidelity corporate aesthetic.
Yeah it had a strong charms for that reason but was a bit tragic seeing how many fully attached to it , it's too thin to be any lasting genre . Fuck all examples of good tunes that came of it. Whereas the bedroom lofi rave thing seems kind of endless, perpetual .

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i think where it really goes off the rails is with goa/psytrance.
That's thirdform's cue to bust in and explain why you're a terrible person for grouping them together, since goa is dreadful bourgeois tripe for middle-class backpackers while psy is truly revolutionary proletarian terrorist music.

Or vice-versa, I forget which.

shakahislop

bigger pay events attended included a Biology and Universe plus that night in…. Exeter, only went for DiY Jack, fortunately a chrome dioxide studio quality recording exists

View attachment 18574

last of the genuine doves, shockingly bad mc

Obsession had a tiny club night in rural Herefordshire listed at the bottom of the above tape sleeve, misty back lanes in a village called Wormelow, took an age to find driving south of Brum. Proper springy dance floor but way too manic full of e gannets
this is great. seems to be totally beyond the reach of shazam as well

william_kent

Japanese /Taiwanese occult mushroom worship rave

甜美的夢(Sweet Dreams)​

OTUtNjEzMi5qcGVn.jpeg

MjMtNDUzMS5qcGVn.jpeg

MjMtNjUyOC5qcGVn.jpeg

MzAtMjg5MC5qcGVn.jpeg

sufi

lala
I think there are real parallels between the hobbyist technical artistry of these 90s visual art attempts and the technical artistry of the new rave music. Both camps were exploring new computer tools that were available on floppy disks on magazine covers. Bedroom nerd gangs feeding off each other's energy . The computer tooling was so lofi as to totally admit the hobbyist bedroom environment that the art was forged in. There was no hope of being any higher fidelity, of ever looking corporate, it looked and sounded like what it was, suburban bedroom tech trying to reach above its station. Both the music and the visuals.
we had a bit of a chat about that same tech bottleneck effect here :
https://www.dissensus.com/threads/14720/page-26#post-439829
before the thread reverted back to exquisite jungles