a MIDI is wtf?

sufi

lala
like an ancient pre-digital type of musical snignal?

to connect a hardware yamaha to the pc seems to be possible, but what for? why would you do that?

1713486775797.png
wtwtf is all this?

Attachments

• 1713486761429.png
    1713486761429.png
    622.3 KB · Views: 1

0bleak

😆
I just remembered writing a paper on MIDI in high school when it was a kind of a new thing.
We were told that we could choose the topic of our papers, but I was given a less than stellar grade because it was supposedly too technical.

0bleak

I mean, the basic idea is for different pieces of gear to be able to control each other.

0bleak

there was a lame 80s band called GTR whose schtick was about using midi guitars so they could also trigger other sounds

sufi

lala
Midi is just a system that allows musical instruments to communicate with each other or with computers or other devices, it doesn't sound like anything, its a protocol.
yeah i'm kind of getting my head around it now (at least i thought i was last night)
Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI) is a standard to transmit and store music, originally designed for digital music synthesizers. MIDI does not transmit recorded sounds. Instead, it includes musical notes, timings and pitch information, which the receiving device uses to play music from its own sound library.

An example of a synthesizer at the time of MIDI's development.
MIDI was developed in the early 1980s to provide interoperability between digital music devices.

Before MIDI, digital piano keyboards, music synthesizers and drum machines from different manufacturers could not talk to each other.

MIDI was developed in the early 1980s to provide interoperability between digital music devices. It was spearheaded by the president of Roland instruments and developed with Sequential Circuits, an early synthesizer company that Yamaha purchased in 1987. Other early adopters included Yamaha, Korg, Kawai and Moog.
so there is more to it than just connecting a cable from headphones to mic socket
This comment

MIDI on Linux is highly modular and, as a result, initially overwhelming.
from askubuntu.com is accurate
i had to string around 1/2 dozen separate applications together to get a sound into my ears from the computer, but amazingly, it works

so i can get some sound out of the hardware keyboard, but i don't really understand what else might be possible, and don't see any sign that the keyboard can hear the computer.

droid

If you run a DAW you can write notes into a sequence and your keyboard/device can play those notes. You can use MIDI to send and receive to a controller to trigger and control events with pads and knobs.

The classic jungle setup was an akai sampler, cubase and a controller keyboard with all three talking to each other via MIDI, or you could look at the likes of autechre who have thousands of parameters all controlled and transmitted by MIDI (though not exclusively).