Wiley retiring?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
This is both interesting and tragic to me.

Interesting because it is the natural conclusion of Wiley's career. Who really can't say that it was embarassing listening to Wiley talk about how he's at his "peak" in all the Tunnel Visions? Wiley had his time, and missed it by deciding to follow some delusions of commercial success and making some records that shot way below what he was capable of. It must be difficult now with the pressure of having a family, getting older, and having your chances at success like you planned it dwindling by the year.

It is tragic to me of course because Wiley was one of those MCs with the most "star-potential" in grime. He was charismatic, lyrically interesting, and as someone living outside of the U.K., the ONLY other person in grime that the average person knows about past Dizzee. With Wiley out of the game, I think grime is going to have an even harder time pulling itself out of the very difficult situation it appears to be in right now. If the person with the most chance of a different level of success has backed out because of his lack of faith in the game, that definitely isn't a good look.

Then again, grime for me has always been a love-hate affair. I've always loved it for being what I believe to be some of the best music being produced anywhere right now, but at the same time I have constantly been disappointed and frustrated from the beginning by the lack of organization, business sense, forsight, and occasionally misfortune, suffered by those involved in all levels of the scene.

nomos

Administrator
If the person with the most chance of a different level of success has backed out because of his lack of faith in the game, that definitely isn't a good look.

Then again, grime for me has always been a love-hate affair. I've always loved it for being what I believe to be some of the best music being produced anywhere right now, but at the same time I have constantly been disappointed and frustrated from the beginning by the lack of organization, business sense, forsight, and occasionally misfortune, suffered by those involved in all levels of the scene.
I do wonder if part of this is Wiley saying to grime: Right, I'm gone now. Now what are you going to do? You don't have me trying to make this into a serious business and keep up the quality. You can't make a name for yourself by calling for me. Play amongst yourselves and see if you can do any better. If it's worth my while, I'll come back

That's a lot of words to put in his mouth but I'll bet there's some element of this involved.

shudder

@nomos: I'm sure that's at least somewhat in the back of his head. But mainly, in the 1extra interview, he just sounded really really exasperated.

I just heard Wiley on 'Zumpi

Huntah' on Rinse (which was so sick) and then straight after that they plays Ghetto and Devlin with some absolute trash of a track

my point is that this dude cannot retire. if so the scene is truly deaded out. not even Ruff Sqwad, Aftershock, Boy Better Know and some of the other mans still doing this ting can balance out this sinking ship

me and my boys will always make the music cos we truly do love it but as a thriving scene, I doubt things can survive heathily without William

oh and Sick Boy and Nomos really reached in mans head and plucked out my very thoughts - safe

gumdrops

its time for him to leave i think... imagine how embarassing it would be if in five years time, the guy STILL leading the scene was wiley. doesnt say much for grimes health if the same guys are forever leading it.