Devo

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I've never heard of them outside the Music forum here, but they sound pretty cool too.

I really like Devo, the comment was a mnemomic to get you to try the Residents too, the first one is well worth checking out if you're on a US new wave era experimental tip, even though they were slightly earlier.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Really can't beat the debut album for me. It's their really only essential purchase in my mind; not really a stinker to be found.

I'll have to buy that again some time. I totally overplayed it when it came out and then couldn't listen to it at all: overindulgence leading to allergic reaction. But maybe I'll have got over that 30 years on :)

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction is maybe the best Rolling Stones cover ever, really a complete re-imagining of the song

An interesting comment given the thread topic: I think The Residents' version is much more of a destruction :)

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
They had a really strong visual element and were pioneering in their use of video.

Their''The Men That Make The Music'' documenty was one of the first music videos you could purchase in the shops.I dont know if that or other any other early footage is available on DVD,but it would make a good introduction to their 'Wiggly World'.

Another late 70's band in a similar mold were The Screamers.Sadly a record deal eluded them and their only available recordings were in bootleg form.
There are some of their promo videos to be found on YouTube though:

Check out their singer and bear in mind that they predate The Dead Kennedys.Jello Biafra was a big fan!

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Spudboys sue McDonalds.

730709.jpg

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4583430a12.html

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Listening to Devo's first LP again in however many years and I finally figured out what's wrong with it: Eno's production. It's so totally dated. The earlier versions of the songs still stand up, but Eno makes them sound like a 70s novelty band. Dreadful (n) (n)

Okay, Gut Feeling is pretty damn good – except that it medleys into SYM. Whose stupid idea was that? 🙄