M John Harrison

woops

is not like other people
I've just read The Course of the Heart.
I thought it was a bit like a cross between The Secret History and I dunno, Foucault's Pendulum maybe, a lot shorter than either though.
I read Light a few years ago.
What they've got in common that I like is a ton of baffling detail. They're full of very original scenarios that seem to mean something I might grasp after ten readings, but which are very entertaining the first time through.
He's also written Climbers, apparently about how rock climbers are hard bastards.
I think I'll read In Viriconium next.
I thought Light came up on here once before but found nowt so here's a thread.

I read Light, Nova Swing and Things That Never Happen.

Cool stuff in them but a very depressing vibe that can be quite crushing.

Is the one you just read worth a go?

woops

is not like other people
a very depressing vibe that can be quite crushing.

not sure what I'd read if I was worried about that.

Is the one you just read worth a go?

Yeah I really enjoyed it. It's perhaps not as far-out as Light but very interesting, keeps you guessing, quite compulsive reading in fact. That's why I've got In Virisonium RIGHT HERE and I'm about to start it.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
I've tried two Harrisons - The Light and Nova Swing - didn't get on with either...hated the psuedo science of Light - loved the idea of Nova Swing but didn't think much of the writing...or the story...but can't quite define why...you know, sometimes, a book just doesn't gel for you.

catalog

i finished "the course of the heart" a few weeks ago, read it at a blistering pace. very good. there's a strong treeshagging moment but i forgot to make a note of what it was exactly. but basically a woman-tree apparation appears and he gets swept up in it.

think i preferred "climbers" on balance, just for some of the excellent clipped dialogue. but both are good. and i didn't know he had a connection with huddersfield.

he's on this year's booker prize jury

they have to read 150 books in 7 months = a novel a day, that is completely ridiculous.