Tracks that sampled tracks that sampled tracks that sampled...

oswellm

Hello,

I'm doing a project at the minute that looks at sampling, and one thing I'm looking at specifically are 'sample genealogies', instances where a tune samples another tune which itself samples another (and so on)..

For instance:
Les McCann - Sometimes I Cry --> Massive Attack - Teardrop --> Burial - Prayer
Marshall Jefferson - Move Your Body --> Frank Ski - Tony's Bitch Track --> DJ Sprinkles - Grand Central Pt. 1
Aphex - "Lichen" --> Oval - Aero Deck --> Björk - Unison

These are the only ones that have sprung to mind, but I'm sure there's loads of examples that I'm forgetting about, or that just fall outside my listening habits, and I figure this would be a good place to ask for some help.. Anyone got any to point me toward? Cheers!

Benny Bunter

There must be shitloads of examples of this in any music thet uses breaks. Hardcore, jungle etc. Some of those breaks are probably third or fourth generation, maybe even more. How many tunes must have resampled the amen break for example?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah, definitely with the breaks thing.

On 'Blue Lines' Massive Attack sampled the beat from 'Sneakin' in the Back' by Tom Scott and The LA Express and it was then sampled by DJ Krush.

Can't remember the name of the Krush track, but you can spot that he lifted it from Massive Attack as it's got a sound (someone taking a drag and exhaling?) which is not in the original.

'Teardrop' was also re-sampled by the Kammerflimmer Kollectiv or however they spell their name.

Looks like there are websites that provide this kind of info, just checked the 'Blue Lines' info and this page talks about a "sample chain":

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/vi...ck-Blue Lines_The Blackbyrds-Rock Creek Park/

muser

theres that Isaac Hayes - Ike's Rap II to Portishead - Glory Box to that annoying single by I monster Daydream In Blue .

and Ahmad Jamal Misdemeanor to Black Moon - Black Smif-n-Wessun to Smif-N-Wessun - Timz N Hood Chek dont know if that counts since different bits were sampled.

Last edited:

jimitheexploder

I've got a new example: Shortstuff & Mickey Pierce - Trippin'

It's not out yet like but its been on radio and Ramadanman plays it on his Dubstep Allstars Vol.7 mix.

It samples Pizzaman aka Fatboy Slim who no doubt sampled it himself...

Trippin' on Sunshine

I think I'm right anway it sounds like that, but I guess they may have just sampled the tracks Fatboy did for all I know.

Leo

isaac hayes "hung up on my baby">>geto boys "mind playing tricks on me">>glass candy "geto boys"

So where do the royalties go in situations like this? To the creator of the original song? To both songs?
In a perfect world, both. Presuming the sample is cleared, the composer of the original song should be paid publishing royalties and, once in receipt, should onforward half to the owner of the master rights (ie. the actual piece that was sampled).

hint

party record with a siren
I've got a new example: Shortstuff & Mickey Pierce - Trippin'

It's not out yet like but its been on radio and Ramadanman plays it on his Dubstep Allstars Vol.7 mix.

It samples Pizzaman aka Fatboy Slim who no doubt sampled it himself...

The original is Rocker's Revenge - Walking on Sunshine.

I'd guess that Shortstuff & Mickey Pearce got it off the original acapella.

oswellm

So where do the royalties go in situations like this? To the creator of the original song? To both songs?

That's one of the things that interests me about them.. "Authorship" and that.. Also, with the Sprinkles example especially there's a very socially-minded (political in some sense) motivation behind the choice of samples. Or something.

And yeah, breaks are the classic example. I'm sure there are hundreds, thousands of records that sample other sampled records — only problem is that with something like the Amen break it'd require both an encyclopaedic knowledge of all sorts of music *and* a pair of golden ears for one to be able to pinpoint what exactly samples what.. And that's before you take into consideration the kind of sound-mangling that many producers apply to samples.

Thanks for all the help everyone and keep them coming, I knew dissensus'd deliver.

(Gold star goes to the first person to think of a four-level sample chain!)

hint

party record with a siren
four-level sample chain

If you're after something specific from the hardcore / d'n'b fields, there's a famous D'n'B break called the Tramen:

- Made by Dom&Roland by chopping up and processing the Amen break and another couple of breaks (I think THIS was one of them)
- Used and made famous by Trace
- Sampled by other producers off a Trace record:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Alfons

Way of the future
If you're after something specific from the hardcore / d'n'b fields, there's a famous D'n'B break called the Tramen:

- Made by Dom&Roland by chopping up and processing the Amen break and another couple of breaks (I think THIS was one of them)
- Used and made famous by Trace
- Sampled by other producers off a Trace record:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramen
The Tramen is a combination of the three beats, as Dom and Roland explained himself on Dogs On Acid forum (see full post):

"There was no special trick to making the Tramen. The 3 beats were sampled from these records [[Pulp Fiction - Alex Reece ( model 500 remix), Samuri-Trace ( Pete Parsons Babylon remix), and most importantly the "amen" with its special snare was taken from."

Im guessing an explicit remix (bootleg or otherwise) doesn't count? :)

jimitheexploder

The original is Rocker's Revenge - Walking on Sunshine.

I'd guess that Shortstuff & Mickey Pearce got it off the original acapella.

Thats the track! I use to know that when I was a kid buying old Fatboy Slim records... *ahem*... I tryed finding what the original sample was last night but gave up pretty quick after just finding some sketchy trance tracks that just sampled the Pizzaman track.

The synths on the Shortstuff track remind me a little of the Pizzaman one, thats what makes me think they sampled Fatboy and tweaked it around quite a bit, but you're probably right.

D

droid

And yeah, breaks are the classic example. I'm sure there are hundreds, thousands of records that sample other sampled records — only problem is that with something like the Amen break it'd require both an encyclopaedic knowledge of all sorts of music *and* a pair of golden ears for one to be able to pinpoint what exactly samples what.. And that's before you take into consideration the kind of sound-mangling that many producers apply to samples.

I remember chatting to Aphex twin backstage at a gig and he was listening to the tunes being played and making comments like 'Thats a 5th generation amen' etc...

The obvious one for me is
Baptised By Dub > Run's House > Funky Drummer
So, if anybody knows a tune that sampled Criminal Minds.. Droid, I'm looking at you mate!

D

droid

Theres the Blind Truth - 'Can't You See' (why cant you see, love is the answer female vocal) samples in BBD that may have been re sampled.

Id say the best option would be the MC duke sample 'Cant beat the system - go with the flow'. As this is an early use it could be argued that a load of tunes, including 'Assult N Battery - Beat Dat System' (deejay) sampled it, though they probably sampled the original acapella.

Alfons

Way of the future

sampled by
the prodigy
rebel mc
Wots My Code
Rusko

not sure if they all went to the original source or if there's a chain there though?