RIP Alexander McQueen

Woebot

yes absolutely. local boy in ec1.

all the mcqueens flowershops round here was him - he set them up for his mum. sounds like a case of heartbreak when she died.

:-(

never forget reading about bumsters in the back of i-D when he first started.

Lichen

Cut Prince Charles's suits on Saville Row - wrote obscenities in tailor's chalk on their linings

That's good behaviour by any standard.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Constant pressure to put on a show for other people...

But he was really good at it. This was worse than MJ dying, much worse, for me anyway. With MJ it was more surprising that he made it past 40 than that he died at 53.

He was one of the few designers who stayed creative over the years...he was the Matthew Barney of fashion ... now there's no reason to read V.

luka

couldnt give a shit about fashion but i am sad becasue of course he was from nowhere near ec1...he was from stratford e15 and went to rokeby.

mms

sometimes
couldnt give a shit about fashion but i am sad becasue of course he was from nowhere near ec1...he was from stratford e15 and went to rokeby.

you're sad cos he came from a place near where you lived?

not cos he was extremely talented then.

that does seem a bit extreme.

Last edited:

luka

im not sad really but dont you like to see people from your area do well? in a very general way?
i think its nice.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
More generally on the way death is reported in the media, I think it's sad/sickening when people get reduced to what they've done when they die, as though some people's deaths therefore are less important because they 'weren't successful'.

In this case, it's sad as he seemed like a cool bloke.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
More generally on the way death is reported in the media, I think it's sad/sickening when people get reduced to what they've done when they die, as though some people's deaths therefore are less important because they 'weren't successful'.

Yeah... I don't see anyone in the media tying his death to his gay, at least. Suicide rates are appreciably higher among gay men. But so is bipolar and some other disorders. So it's no mystery why.

(I still think MJ deliberately overdosed... but that's another story for another day.)

Nobody's pulled that one out yet as proof of how gays teh badnzz! That I know of.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

OTOH, we can't have a headline feature every time anyone dies, can we? That'd be impossible.

Sure, but I know plenty of people I consider "cool", and I'd be sad if they died, but none of them (probably) would get this kind of media treatment in the event because none of them are famous designers. I'm not really sure what you're getting at here: we make a fuss over celebrities when they're alive and we make a fuss over them when they die; that's what 'celebrity' means, right?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I was thinking more of something personal to be honest, where someone's death was reported solely in terms of what they had done, completely in terms of what 'society' deems to have been worthwhile doing, rather than with any attention to who the person was. I dunno, I found it quite chilling.

Probably doesn't belong on this thread tho - fair enough.

Karl Kraft

Massive loss, I only found out today and can't believe it.. Anyone remember the robot painters that sprayed paint over the model, that my first memory of him I think:
And those hats he did that were like Rams horns, can't really think of things atm, but so much amazing stuff he did. Its kinda hard to imagine 'why', but i guess no one knows anything about him really.. What a loss, a true genius.