Votes: 1 33.3%
  • it was open ended, subject to interpretation

• ubtle details say he was not insane before this "assignment"

• Total voters

zhao

there are no accidents
shutter island (SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN IT)

SPOILERS AHEAD (only for those who have already seen)

immediately after the film i was nnoyed that at the end it's kinda like he just woke up and it was all a dream. almost exactly like Psycho. (1).

but then after a while it began to appear that it could actually be seen the other, equally valid, way, that the escaped patient/doctor Selano in the cave and everything she said was real. (2)

but then my girl pointed out that the doctor in the tower said he was never in the war, and yet his memories of it were so vivid (and incidentally historically accurate for those who know: it was snowing the day those SS officers were executed) -- which makes it look like he was right about everything (3).

the day after, i'm leaning toward 3. he was a war hero cop who never killed his wife, had no kids, and was looking into stuff he should not have been. (even without considering the real events on which the story was based)

Last edited:

grizzleb

I was going to complain that you ruined the entire film but then I seen your spoiler warning. Should have been more vigilant.

zhao

there are no accidents
you are a little shit human with a shit attitude, "grizzleb". go sit in your own shit and stop replying to any of my threads or comments. your presence is not wanted.

mods, i realized soon after making the post that thread title as it appears on the forum needs the word SPOILER in it. can add?

Leo

i think this maybe was a case of miscommunication...when grizzleb said "Should have been more vigilant," i took it to mean HE (not zhao) should have been more vigilant and paid closer attention to the warning. but maybe zhao took it the opposite way, that HE was being accused of not being vigilant. or something...

peace, brothers.

Immryr

i think it's obvious that s what happened. zhao's reaction was stll ridiculous and childish.

pajbre

Um, anyways.

The soundtrack was fantastic: Feldman, Ligeti, Penderecki, and even a few prepared piano Cage pieces.

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah i noticed some of that music too. i guess the suspense of the prepared piano is apt, but somehow using such a lovely, abstract, and playful piece of music to develop the creepy scenes... not sure how i feel about.

no you are very much mistaken, Immyr. above is a well considered response, after months of observation and holding my tongue. the piece of shit has been shitty in every single thread, and far more than the ones i was involved.

if everyone recalls, the only previous time i have been mean to someone was Vimothy, for being an alleged Milliatarist and Dick (Cheney) Lover.

i can safely say, after a few months of encountering this vile little shit's posts, after giving him the benefit of the doubt even after he sprays his shit all over numerous subjects, never contributing anything constructive, i can safely say that here is one piece of shit that i am finished and done with.

down the toilette. bye bye turd.

muser

is it any good? Was well up for seeing it, heard loads of hype (by people who hadn't seen it) then heard it was shite..

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah it was good film making. not too cliched even on rather cliche territory. small formal devices were surprising in a good way. i was only annoyed at first afterwards as the ending seemed so closed, and one way. but later after a random conversation on the tube, and talking to girlfriend about it a lot, i realized it is almost certainly more tricky than i first thought.

most people i think felt the same as i first did. which i think was planned, that the minority will "get it". in fact, i read some reviews afterward, and some say the ending was one way, some another. and some say it was completely open: we don't know and can only make conjectures. which is mega points IMO.

zhao

there are no accidents
anyone care to share what they know about the Canadian psychiatrist who met this fate back in the 50s in a secret government institution where experiments were being done?

presumably what the story was based on. i guess.

JWoulf

immediately after the film i was nnoyed that at the end it's kinda like he just woke up and it was all a dream. almost exactly like Psycho. (1).

but then after a while it began to appear that it could actually be seen the other, equally valid, way, that the escaped patient/doctor Selano in the cave and everything she said was real. (2)

but then my girl pointed out that the doctor in the tower said he was never in the war, and yet his memories of it were so vivid (and incidentally historically accurate for those who know: it was snowing the day those SS officers were executed) -- which makes it look like he was right about everything (3).

the day after, i'm leaning toward 3. he was a war hero cop who never killed his wife, had no kids, and was looking into stuff he should not have been. (even without considering the real events on which the story was based)

Saw it earlier tonight, good movie. Actually the doctor says that it is true he was in the war, but that it couldnt be confirmed that he executed the guards. I'm going for 1 though, he was obviously insain, the only thing that speaks for it being a conspiracy towards him would be that it seemed to be true in the end that the lobotomies were taking place in the lighthouse, but when he went there, all evidence of this had been removed.