soca in grime?

Eric

Mr Moraigero
listening to Run the Road I was struck by the No Lay track---the drum track really sounds soca. do people know of other stuff with this influence?

cooper

there was a lot of stuff roundabout 2002-3 we used to call "socabeat" - notably k2 family "bouncin' flow". if that's what you're interested in there's a bunch more i can list for you.

believekevin

coop, please do! definitely interested as i have always thought of soca and grime as kinda like light and dark musics.

cooper

cooper said:
there was a lot of stuff roundabout 2002-3 we used to call "socabeat" - notably k2 family "bouncin' flow". if that's what you're interested in there's a bunch more i can list for you.

erm, yes, now that i think about it i should stipulate this was really more late 2-step, more like 2001-02 really.

durex #9 - heard this was y-tribe; there were a few months when everybody was playing it. has a piano breakdown like "basslick" but better drums, whipcracks, orgasmic shrieks.
masterstepz f. celitia - "sorry" chris mac rmx.
tj cases - "one by one"
cleptomaniacs "all i do" - bump'n'flex dancehall dub is a brilliant track, might be stretching it a little

but yeah, it was a very distinctive beat that recalled soca very much through those heavy syncopated kickdrum rhythms, though at best they were probably more kissing cousins. i should go digging through records at home tonight - but i might not get to it; have to do stuff for wmc next week.

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Trawling the archives again & thought this was interesting in the light of Funky developments...not sure K2 Family are gonna turn up on the next Rinse compilation or anything, but its some historical context, I guess...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Trawling the archives again & thought this was interesting in the light of Funky developments...not sure K2 Family are gonna turn up on the next Rinse compilation or anything, but its some historical context, I guess...

Good trawling! K2 Family....I'm going back to listen to "Crews Control" right now...:)

benjybars

village elder.

you are my favourite thread trawler phil!

Simon78

Spooky gave me a cd of his tunes and one of them sounds like a Soca/Grime/Funky mash up, its so heavy. No idea what its called and its not in any of the previews on his myspace so not much use to this thread really :)

carmen

 
theres an almost straight up 2k3/4 Ruff Sqwad -moments track getting airplay on the local soca pirates . think i heard it performed live in the Grenada Soca Monarch webstream too..

its like they stumbled across the same default Fruity config.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
listening to Run the Road I was struck by the No Lay track---the drum track really sounds soca. do people know of other stuff with this influence?

this track was produced by Silkie, i've since realised (i didnt know who silkie was when we signed it), yes that Silkie...

anyone mentioned 'Message is Love' yet?

Hanuman

Very Excited to hear those message is love remixes

The MJ Cole dubb of his new tune is pretty soca too. Very ruff.

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Can we round all this soca-influenced garage/grime/funky stuff up here? (I don't really mean ALL of it btw, I mean the ones with a really heavy obvious influence). I'm thinking of doing some soca sets & would like to extend it out into some garagey stuff that fits. So K2 Fam-fam-family & Agent X's "Decoy" are the acknowledged soca-beat classics & a good case is made on other websites for Pay As U Go's "Champagne Dance (Brown Acid)" & Naughty's "Pussy Track" in a similar vein; Jammer "Message Is Love" especially so in grime; Apple stuff in funky... Anything else missed here or above?...I can trawl for other mentions elsewhere but I bet people here can reel em off quicker...