Hip-Hop & The Five Percenters

rivetrenuck

Hey all,

Was reading the Ras Kush interview over at Musik Line @ http://musik-line.blogspot.com/2010/03/ras-kush-sound-of-brooklyn.html linked up from John Edens blog.

It was in this interview that i read about a very different side of Hip Hop. But Ras Kush doesnt seem to go in depth about it (why should he). It was here that i first heard about the NGE http://musik-line.blogspot.com/2010/03/ras-kush-sound-of-brooklyn.html. They sound like an interesting bunch with interesting views and opinions. I am more interested in the artists that were involved or influenced by the NGE or any other spiritual orders or movements,

Thru wikipedia and Ras Kush i know about Eric. B and Rakim, Big Daddy Kane (first ive heard of them too) Ras Kush also mentions "Boops" i havent been able to find out much about Boops.

Also if anyone has opinions of hip hoppers that come from such a background or influence.

petergunn

plywood violin
Hey all,

Was reading the Ras Kush interview over at Musik Line @ http://musik-line.blogspot.com/2010/03/ras-kush-sound-of-brooklyn.html linked up from John Edens blog.

It was in this interview that i read about a very different side of Hip Hop. But Ras Kush doesnt seem to go in depth about it (why should he). It was here that i first heard about the NGE http://musik-line.blogspot.com/2010/03/ras-kush-sound-of-brooklyn.html. They sound like an interesting bunch with interesting views and opinions. I am more interested in the artists that were involved or influenced by the NGE or any other spiritual orders or movements,

Thru wikipedia and Ras Kush i know about Eric. B and Rakim, Big Daddy Kane (first ive heard of them too) Ras Kush also mentions "Boops" i havent been able to find out much about Boops.

Also if anyone has opinions of hip hoppers that come from such a background or influence.

boops= the supercat song, dude...

^ that's the book, this is the soundtrack
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object

CrowleyHead

Busta's kind of a fake 5%er though... Yeah, he repped it for a minute in the early 90's when it was trendy... At the same time, he also likes to claim he's from Brooklyn, and not Long Island...

Colz

Wild Horses
First I heard of the 5 per centers was Professor Griff in the late 80s, but yes it did seem to become a trend by the early 90s.

Rakim and BDK are still two of my favourite US MC's ever.

(loved that boops riddim back then too, esp. 'john boops')

petergunn

plywood violin
the arm-a leg-a leg-a arm head!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

CrowleyHead

Gravediggaz had 5%s influences? hhhmmm

Frukwan and Rza are God-Bodies, though Rza's now moved on into his more 'enlightened frame of mind. Shabazz, who's got the two guest verses on it, is 5%er I BELIEVE (will double check that later...), Priest is not, and I believe that Poetic was a Black Israelite before he passed...

Honestly though, that's why after the 1st record, suddenly Gravediggaz went OVERBOARD with the 5% thing and 'educating through the means and metaphors'. Originally it was fun, 'horrorcore'. And I maintain Rza was never a better MC than on that record...

Actually, roughly 9/10ths of Wu-Tang are if not Gods and Earths, claimed to be at one point for the sake of the Wu-Tang image. Now that it means less, naturally they go back to whatever they believed prior. Like, Cappadonna did some awful DVD, where at one point he talked about Catholicism, being raised Catholic, and how he feels about it, and suddenly camera guy felt the need to remind him he was supposed to be 5%er.

The word 'Wasteman' comes to mind.