RonPrice9

Pioneering Over Four epoc
The film Avatar has been out and about for four months(12/09 to 4/10) after being in development since 1994. I have read many reviews, listened to many comments and discussed it’s style and content with many both in cyberspace and in our wide-wide-world. This prose-poem tries to encapsulate some of my initial thoughts on this blockbuster, its initial reception and some of its meaning.

James Cameron, who wrote, produced and directed the film, stated in an interview that an avatar is: “an incarnation of one of the Hindu gods taking a flesh form." In this film, though, avatar has more to do with human technology in the future being capable of injecting a human's intelligence into a remotely located body, a biological body. "It's not an avatar in the sense of just existing as ones and zeroes in cyberspace,” said Cameron; “it's actually a physical body." The great student of myth, Joseph Campbell(1), should have been at the film’s premier in London on 10 December 2009. I wonder what he would have said.

Composer James Horner scored the film, his third collaboration with Cameron after Aliens and Titanic. A field guide of 224 pages for the film's fictional setting of the planet of Pandora was released by Harper Entertainment in late November 2009. The guide was entitled Avatar: A Confidential Report on the Biological and Social History of Pandora. With an estimated $310 million to produce the film and $150 million for marketing, the film has generated a myriad positive reviews from film critics as well as its share of criticism especially over what many reviewers refer to as the film’s simplisitc content.

Roger Ebert, one of the more prestigious of film critics, wrote: “An extraordinary film: Avatar is not simply sensational entertainment, although it is that. It's a technical breakthrough."-Ron Price with thanks to Wikipedia, 5 April 2010.

Like viewing Star Wars back in ’77
some said/an obvious script with an
earnestness & corniness/part of what
makes it absorbing/said another/Gives
you a world, a place/worth visiting/eh?

Alive with action and a soundtrack that
pops with robust sci-fi shoot-'em-ups...
A mild critique of American militarism
and industrialism.....yes the military are
pure evil........the Pandoran tribespeople
are nature-loving, eco-harmonious, wise
Braveheart smurf warriors. Received....
nominations for the Critics' Choice Awards
of the Broadcast Film Critics Association &
on and on go the recommendations for the..
best this and that and everything else. What
do you think of all this Joseph Campbell???

You said we all have to work our own myth(1)
in our pentapolar, multicultural-dimensional
world with endless phantoms of our wrongly
informed imagination, with our tangled fears,
our pundits of error, ill-equipped to interpret
the social commotion tearing our world apart
and at play on planetizing-globalizing Earth.(2)

(1)If readers google Joseph Campbell they can find some contemporary insights into the individualized myth that Campbell says we all have to work out in our postmodern world.
(2)The Prophet-Founder of the Bahá'í Faith, Bahá'u'lláh, has been presented as an avatar in India beginning, arguably, in the 1960s. There were only 1000 Baha’is in India in 1960 and now more than 2 million. Baha’u’llah has been associated in the Bahá'í teaching initiatives with the kalkin avatar who, according to a major Hindu holy text, will appear at the end of the kali yuga, one of the four main stages of history, for the purpose of reestablishing an era of righteousness.

There are many examples of what one might call a quasi-cross-cultural messianistic approach to Bahá'í teaching in India. This approach has included: (a) emphasizing the figures of Buddha and Krishna as past Manifestations of God or avatars; (b) making references to Hindu scriptures such as the Bhagavad Gita, (c) the substitution of Sanskrit-based terminology for Arabic and Persian terms where possible; for example, Bhagavan Baha for Bahá'u'lláh, (d) the incorporation in both Bahá'í song and literature of Hindu holy spots, hero-figures and poetic images and (e) using heavily Sanskritized-Hindi translations of Baha'i scriptures and prayers.

Ron Price
5 April 2010

sus

Avatar presents itself as a portal myth—average joe from earth gets to go native, hang out in an idealized indigenous society, and whi'peopo are eatin it up, which makes sense because a portal is what a movie is, hence:

I recently read on the Avatar TypePad Blog, that people are becoming depressed because of the movie. People are realizing that the dream can't actually come true. I was trying to start a thread where people gave ideas on how to cope with it, as in reading Avatar stuff, Writing ( about avatar of course), painting, or whatever. Just give me some ideas and I'll try and help them out.

Here's what I do/Plan on doing
- Lucid dream
- Plant a garden (I'm going to plant some exotic plants [inside of course, they wouldn't last outside up here LOL])
- Get an aquarium
- Learn Na'vi
- Get out into nature as much as you possibly can
- Avoid processed foods/stuff Na'vi wouldn't eat
- Learn astronomy - find out what real earth-like-planets are out there!

sus

They call it "PAD"—post-Avatar depression.

"PAD still regularly hits me. It happens most times after I see the movie, and the OST can cause it pretty much on demand. I'm not sure that effect will ever go away, and I'm not sure that I want it to. I've learned to deal with it and accept it at this point."

"My PAD never really went. It kind of comes and goes in severity, if I had to rate it out of 10 I'd say it might go down to maybe 3 or 4 sometime before going back up to 8 or 9, 10 occasionally - usually when I've got other problems as well. I agree with zongtseng, I think PAD will always be part of me now. I wouldn't really ever want to lose it anyway, as I'd be losing so much of what made Avatar special to me."

sus

Every day I go to university, I walk past a poster advertising the Avatar Bluray and unless I'm really rushed, I always just stop and look at it for a moment, because it takes me to Pandora...

I've seen Avatar I think 16 times in 3D and twice in IMAX.

I watch it at home fairly often, I have my bluray copy and my big monitor. It's not a massive TV, but still plays HD and if I turn the lights off and sit back, I get just the same experience, minus the 3D...

The truth is, I'm still badly hit with PAD, but I don't want to lose it because everything has changed for me. Avatar is the only thing I really have, along with my friends here :)

sus

It's been months since I've seen Avatar, and I still struggle with a little depression every now and then. Like when I wake up. Sometimes I wake up and just regret I'm not in a hammock, lying in a massive tree, in a place I can truely call "home".

However, I've let the PAD grow. Grow untill all I start to feel is...hapiness. It's odd, becuase happiness is something I haven't felt in a long time. I almost feel guilty about it, like once I smile I should get upset about not being on Pandora again. It's really silly, but it happens sometimes. But back to what I was saying, letting the PAD grow will allow you to truely feel content. It feels great. Sure, I love re-visiting those feelings of depression, as a way to reconnect with the pure state of mind, but there is a difference between letting these feelings slip away, and letting them grow. Going back to you old life as if nothing happened is letting them slip away. But developing them into real positive actions and true happiness is letting them grow. I reccommend the later. Remember, the end goal is to be happy right?
LOL - at least the first regret, I have eliminated and this is to me a constant reminder that I have changed ;) . And even my dog starts to like my new way to sleep. Still - no big tree and no real feeling of beeing "at home" (meaning a place and people that I know will be there for me in years to come and me getting the chance to be there).
Some real romantic/pastoral impulses getting thrown at Cameron's creation.

sus

I was thinking about this a while ago too... My PAD is growing, but I almost like it, want it. It's one of the main parts of who I am, I don't know what I'd do if I lost it, I wouldn't have anything. It would really be losing myself. It is a huge part of me, really lets me know myself.
All the hallmarks of mourning

sus

I had the same problem that is now called PAD many years ago, starting in the late 80s. I only just got over it about 3 weeks before my first viewing of Avatar. How ironic. One way I cope with my personal version of paradise being intangible is to realize that it is real on a level that really counts, in my heart. And I believe that the peek I got into paradise would not have affected me as much as it did, if it were not a real place that I have actually been to, therefore it is possible that I will be there again someday. (cue the last lines to "breathe" by Pink Floyd)

sus

At first I didn't know what to do with the feeling I had after watching it the first time. Then I watched it the second time and everything came together of what I had been feeling all along, I looked at myself and was disgusted. I was 200 pounds, couldn't run 1/4 without feeling like I was going to pass out and had hardly noticed nature or been a part of it for a long time. I've already lost 10 pounds, I run atleast 3-4 miles a week. Not much but its a lot more than what I started at, I play with the dog and give her a lot more attention. I can sit on the porch of an evening and just stare into the sky, stars and the sunset and feel so good its almost unexplainable.

Me too - 10-15 pounds lost since first seeing Avatar. I saw it once and was stunned. The people I went with found it ok and good, but I wanted to see it again, so I said, I want to see it in the OV and did again and then I was really not able to go away from it anymore. Seen it again and again and will do so when the re-Release will be happening in summer.

* I go swimming every week for an hour and eat less processed food. I completely banned soft drinks (that is how I lost my 15# up to now). Swimming is great, I can, if I want to, imagine swimming in a lake on Pandora and see hometree in the distance.

Oh and about that people calling 911 when seeing the stars - this is immensely stupid, but I know several of these stories. I already told them in AF. I do medieval reenactments and I have met people who do not know real fire (they think it is faked), they think my dogs and the baby of a friend are robots, we cannot possibly eat the food we cook over an open fire and of course can not be serious about sleeping in these medieval tents. The parents tell their kids they can play with the horsedung because it is fake anyways and the kids are disgusted at the thought that milk actually comes from cows. It is incredible.

guys, chances are with as many stars as there are, and as many galaxies as there are, Pandora probably exists somewhere

sus

Wow, it's so great. I still can't believe that a movie touches my deepest feelings and thoughts so much, even after more than four months. And that a character (Neytiri), who isn't even real touches me so much. I realize that my longing for a place like Pandora is still as big as it was after I've watched Avatar for the first time. Isn't that weird?

UHHHHH NOOOO it isn't weird. I'd say one of the most powerful viewings for me was my 7th. It also happened to be the last time I watched Avatar in the theatre in 3D. My parents were seeing it for the first time and we had the place to ourselves. I went through cold sweats, trembled, cried, and completely lost myself in the experience... It was very powerful for me.

sus

mvuent

Void Dweller
have to admit i have no memory whatsoever of avatar's music, but yeah the process described is pretty wild. they must have tons of drafts and experiments archived somewhere that are way more interesting than whatever 30 seconds made it into the film. also it's pretty funny that cameron was rejecting their ideas for sounding "too bulgarian"—like is that really what joe six pack in omaha is going to be thinking? "bro, this totally sounds like le mystère des voix bulgares, what the fuck!"

mvuent

Void Dweller
btw what happened to that avatar 2 commentary series you were writing? with the stuff about heroes being ecosystem disrupters etc. were there followups that i missed?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'd better not see this film, it sounds as though the after effects seem dangerous and long-lived.

For me, I think the film that came the closest to engendering what they describe was Victoria. Strange cos the film is not amazingly realistic and the characters and their environs are not obviously that appealing. The only thing I can think is that the "one-shot real-time" gimmick that is the film's usp DID work in the way that it successfully made me feel part of the action and that I had really spent an intense hour with these guys and thus felt, on some level, sad to part from them.

Sure I was in an altered/vulnerable state, but not so much so that I couldn't see the flaws in it. As an aside it's always a strange thing when you are consciously aware of problems with something but it does not at all prevent it hitting you powerfully on a visceral level.

sufi

lala
I found the film ... unremarkable
isnt it a pity that people obsess about a fantasy universe like this instead of being into irl phenomena though, what is that about?

sufi

lala
wasnt the film supposed to radicalise people into planet consciousness? seems like they got the wrong planet 🤪

sus

btw what happened to that avatar 2 commentary series you were writing? with the stuff about heroes being ecosystem disrupters etc. were there followups that i missed?
I wrote it all lol but I don't know what to do with it. Should I just put it on Tumblr? Should I send it to you?