grimey bliss in the Wire

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Get April’s Wire mag it carries (as promised here by the man himself) an excellent ‘primer’ piece on Grime by Simon Reynolds. It has to be the first primer where I happen own all the records (normally a couple is good going).

The ‘primer’ list
So Solid Crew – Dilemma
Oxide & Neutrino – Bound for Da Reload
Pay as U Go Kartel – Know We
Wiley & Roll Deep – Terrible
Genius Crew – Course Bruv
More Fire Crew – Oi
Musical Mob – Pulse X
Dizzee Rascal – I love U / Vexed
Wiley – Eskimo / Ice Rink
Jammer Weed Man
Jammer & D Double E – Birds in the Sky
Riko & Target – Chosen One
Ruff Sqwad – Lethal Injection
Terror Danjah – Industry Standard EP
Various – Pay Back EP
Mark One vrs Plasticman – Hard Graft ½
Loefah – Bombay Squad
Wonder – What
SLK – Hype Hype (Wonder Rmx)
Jammer feat Kano – Boys Love Girls
Wonder feat Kano – What have you done
Terror Danjah feat Kano & Sadie – So sure
Davinchie – Dirty Canvas 1
Essentials – Headquarters
Lethal B et al – Pow
Jammer et al – Destruction VIP
D Double E & P Jam – Anger Management
Trim – Boogieman
Bruza – Not convinced
Kano feat D Double E & Demon – Reload it

Oversights / Over-rated?

C

captain easychord

1. the lack of any skepta tracks is criminal. i would add DTI or big bars to that list

2. i would also have added one of those XTC tracks ; funtions on the low was startlingly popular on radio sets, or misty cold.

3. also i would add something by DOK/big ED.

generally thought it looks like a pretty great primer. big up SR on this one.

bun-u said:
The ‘primer’ list
So Solid Crew – Dilemma
Oxide & Neutrino – Bound for Da Reload
Pay as U Go Kartel – Know We
Wiley & Roll Deep – Terrible
Genius Crew – Course Bruv
More Fire Crew – Oi
Musical Mob – Pulse X
Dizzee Rascal – I love U / Vexed
Wiley – Eskimo / Ice Rink
Jammer Weed Man
Jammer & D Double E – Birds in the Sky
Riko & Target – Chosen One
Ruff Sqwad – Lethal Injection
Terror Danjah – Industry Standard EP
Various – Pay Back EP
Mark One vrs Plasticman – Hard Graft ½
Loefah – Bombay Squad
Wonder – What
SLK – Hype Hype (Wonder Rmx)
Jammer feat Kano – Boys Love Girls
Wonder feat Kano – What have you done
Terror Danjah feat Kano & Sadie – So sure
Davinchie – Dirty Canvas 1
Essentials – Headquarters
Lethal B et al – Pow
Jammer et al – Destruction VIP
D Double E & P Jam – Anger Management
Trim – Boogieman
Bruza – Not convinced
Kano feat D Double E & Demon – Reload it

Oversights / Over-rated?

good I guess but wheres 'Woah' by So Solid? Why on earth is 'Headquarters' there? The Wonder rmx of 'Hype Hype' (i dont like either version anyway...)? 'Tings in Boots' instead of lethal injection aswell - wasn't that .... XTC? 'Roll Deep Regular' instead of Terrible aswell - its an OK list....

why do all these primers always forget "golly gosh"? probably the biggest tune of 2002/2003 and it still get's air, raw blaze always plays it between broadcasts! i don't really read the wire so don't know what these primer's are meant to represent, i'm guessing this one relies on reynold's personal tastes (lot's of oversights imo; why have "terrible" and not "regular", no "igloo", "weed man" (???!!!), "lethal injection" and not "pied piper" etc etc) but whatever, it's good!

and "dillemma" is surely the most overrated influence on current garage right? it always seems like a vague attempt to try and shoe-horn so solid into the continuum, "bound for da reload" is 2step!!

ambrose

i thing tings in boots should be on there, but i also think frontline riddim should be on there,. anyway whatever.

as for dilema, well when i first heard it, it sounded mentally different to anything else. I even emailed gareth and told him "you have to hear dilema, its so minmal and weird*", as if that was a real big selling point for him...

i think it should be on there, i dont think so solid need shoe horning, trying to wipe them out of the deelopment of grime is a bit misguided i think.

*remember im an IDM kid at heart.

Woebot

sean downes said:
(lot's of oversights imo; why have "terrible" and not "regular", no "igloo", "weed man" (???!!!), "lethal injection" and not "pied piper" etc etc)

its down to personal taste isnt it? obviously this selection is going to be more than a list. its what the blissblogger has to say about each, why he's included them that i'm interested to check out.

sean downes said:
but whatever, it's good!

innit

bun-u said:
own all these tunes

(splutters) but dave, 'headquarters' never came out! or did da vinche hit you with a copy ;)

bun-u

Trumpet Police
WOEBOT said:
(splutters) but dave, 'headquarters' never came out! or did da vinche hit you with a copy ;)

actually...I should've said I'm damn close to having the lot....ain't got the bruza one or the mark one/plasticman one, but the others (hq on remedee cd), so that's close innit

francesco

Minerva Estassi
WOEBOT said:
its down to personal taste isnt it? obviously this selection is going to be more than a list. its what the blissblogger has to say about each, why he's included them that i'm interested to check out.

Innnit, i'm very curious, my copy shold be here in the next days. Girls, it's a Primer, is for people who know a little or totally nothing about Grime, so what's that game this should this shouldn't where is dat dat should not? You are all conosseur, so for you is a old story. More interested in knowing kind of response on the article by people who are virgin to tha'sounds.

henrymiller

More interested in knowing kind of response on the article by people who are virgin to tha'sounds.

at your service, francesco. this might be the first wire i'll have bought in 6 years. but i wd appreciate a free cd, like with 'energy flash'. otherwise it's a bit academic, these tracks not being all that easily accessible. i don't have the technology to get 'em. anyone who cd email them wins a place in my oscar speech tho'.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
That's it, Mr. Henrymiller: all the music issued on limited dj 12" of "the hardcore continuum", from Belgian and Mentasm Harcore to Gabba and Drum and Bass and Two Step and Grime (well you have Energy Flash so you know what i'm talking about) are not only almost never or very badly compiled, but until there isn't a recognition of the beauty and bliss and importance this music, for people like me, who lives not on London, that can't afford to buy tons of 12", will remain an obscure object of desire. Compilations are sorely needed, like "Run the Road", but i hope now, because for example the great garage punk of the sixties was unknow but to few collectors until the '80 with the "back from the grave" comps and the great '70 disco 12" (from Arthur Russel, Gibson, etc.) were totally unknow until a few years ago when reissues flowered, and there have been a twenty years gap for finally have the possibility of hearing this music. Let happen this with Grime but now, i don't want collection of grime in 2020 (if i will still be in this planet). The The Wire primer can help to open some curious ears and maybe help in spred those sounds as more easily to found.

Look at The Wire, hundred of new cds of mostly mediocre formulaic "experimental" music are issued each month (there are exception of greatness obviously...). Possible that just a few more comps cd/lp of Grime can't be accepted by the market? Now that is fresh? A lesson from drum and bass is that those artist better works is often their prime 12", when they started doing full lenght album they watered it, and sadly you can buy "saturnZ return" easily but not that easily the firsts Goldie 12". But then i am remembered of a Simon Reynold phrase, that the vitality of a scene is in the inverse proportion of the books written about. Maybe only after a scene is dead it can be collected and selled to greater public consumption. Internet downloading will completely change this?

ciao da francesco

henrymiller

francesco, dunno if you're in/have experience of the uk but you're absolutely right. ardkore actually broke through in england and was relatively easy to get hold of on tapes, and, when jungle came along, on cd compilations (incredibly variable in quality). probably the internet has killed the mixtape, which was a big form during rave, even in provincial england, but not so much now. possibly grime's non-danciness means it won't break provincially the way ardkore did, i don't know. but a commercially-done, 2cd compilation would surely make its money back. i would guess that essentially self-produced music creates licensing problems.

redcrescent

Got this in the post yesterday. A great Primer I think (I imagine it wasn't easy pitching this one to the Wire editors). Big thanks to the blissblogger.
As with all good Primers I wish there was a CD to go with it, more so now as most of these tracks will have become very hard to find indeed.