juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
maybe Reynolds is creating a 'false dichotomy' between black and white people by leaving out those with brown skin. thoughts?

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
Is he right in saying that 'boogie' wasn't a term in use at the time? I may be wrong, but I think that Mike Allen used to refer to the weekly chart on his Capital show in the eighties as 'hip-hop, electro and boogie'.

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
Why don't you post some youtube examples of what you're talking about? Maybe that would help him out.

Mister Sloane, my posh, west london friend it's good to learn there's a bit more variety on this forum than Goldsmiths and Central St Martins graduates (even if that means there being the odd royal wedding invite on 'ere)

Well Simon seems to have already seen the light thanks to my post. But then again maybe he was just searching for every youtube link with the word 'boogie' in it.

i would love to post more youtube links my Jack Wills wearing brother but youtube is unfortunateley light on examples of early afro-cuban tumbaos. If there were some i would post to show how they influenced the techniques of boogie-woogie piano playing.

maybe you should just read this instead? it's where i found out ALOT about the history of my latin music brothers

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
also i guess this is the thread to announce that i met El-B the other day. we spoke about latin music and we're gonna do some tunes together. that my friends will be the next mutation of the 'nuum. :cool::cool::cool:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
maybe you should just read this instead? it's where i found out ALOT about the history of my latin music brothers

Book looks good, have you read this? :

John Storm Roberts, it's really good. I think you might like it if you haven't read it.

I wish I could claim the heritage you ascribe to my moniker! Alas it's a reference to a character in a play created by a queer playwright who was hammered to death by his lover. The character in particular was amoral and fucked anything and anyone, especially if they fucked with him.
Gully.

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
Book looks good, have you read this? :

John Storm Roberts, it's really good. I think you might like it if you haven't read it.

I wish I could claim the heritage you ascribe to my moniker! Alas it's a reference to a character in a play created by a queer playwright who was hammered to death by his lover. The character in particular was amoral and fucked anything and anyone, especially if they fucked with him.
Gully.

i'd love to but i figure i have a lot of books to read in the next few months and from then on it'll be nothing but university writing. i guess i could read more but i gotta stop moving weed. loooool

petergunn

plywood violin
Is he right in saying that 'boogie' wasn't a term in use at the time? I may be wrong, but I think that Mike Allen used to refer to the weekly chart on his Capital show in the eighties as 'hip-hop, electro and boogie'.

boogie is one of those stupid english terms like "northern soul" that no american people who actually listened to the music when it came out has ever used...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Mister Sloane, my posh, west london friend it's good to learn there's a bit more variety on this forum than Goldsmiths and Central St Martins graduates (even if that means there being the odd royal wedding invite on 'ere)

haha, what are you saying? None of us are talented enough to get anywhere near those places :p

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
also i guess this is the thread to announce that i met El-B the other day. we spoke about latin music and we're gonna do some tunes together. that my friends will be the next mutation of the 'nuum. :cool::cool::cool:

sounds excellent - what latin stuff is he into?