The Weeknd

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
The production is amazing. It's like Current 93 meets R. Kelly.

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/12295684"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/12295684" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="">The Weeknd - The Party & The After Party</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/theweekndxo">The_Weeknd</a></span>

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
House of Balloons is my favourite release of all year so far. He's a Toronto boy too, and if he doesn't win the Polaris Award this year I'm going to kick the Canadian music industry right in the teeth.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
House of Balloons is my favourite release of all year so far. He's a Toronto boy too, and if he doesn't win the Polaris Award this year I'm going to kick the Canadian music industry right in the teeth.

Right on. Who produced it? Do you know them?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Actually up until recently no one really knew who it was, because it was all being kept a Burial-esque secret. They've since got the name of the singer now (Abel Tesfaye). As for production work, all I've been able to work out so far is that Don McKinney (Esthero's former producer) did half the work on it, along with some other guy I don't know called Illangelo.

All of the weirdness must be coming from this Illangelo guy though, because Don McKinney mostly produces for shitty Canadian pop acts.

Agreed. "The Morning" being my favourite tune of 2011 so far, a gorgeous voice.

On a similar tip, Drake's new song "Marvin's Room" is amazing

e/y

they'll prob. give it to Fucked Up.
last year, Dan Snaith wuz robbed.

CrowleyHead

Not that good, guy's made a song that's 100x more morally offensive than any 'offensive' rap records out right now, most of the production's fairly trite and he can't write songs to save himself. R&B freestyler.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
they'll prob. give it to Fucked Up.
last year, Dan Snaith wuz robbed.

Fucked Up aren't nominated this year. Their new album wasn't released in time for this year's nomination. Arcade Fire's The Suburbs is nominated though, which almost seems like a foregone conclusion.

CrowleyHead

@Sick Boy; "Loft Music". I've been listening to it again and again, and I'm astonished nobody calls him out for his content.

The song basically describes how he's in love with girls who are drug addicted, and he offers them drugs in order to 'enjoy them' sexually. I don't have a big moral outrage brewing inside me over it, but NOBODY's mentioned it. As opposed to say, Tyler, where there was this overwhelming crusade to crucify the kid.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Well I've read multiple reviews that mention the morally questionable content of his lyrics, but none get too outraged about it because in the context of the whole album he is hardly glorifying the things he's talking about. There is a definite feel across the whole record of emptiness, self-hatred, apathy and loneliness. The lyrics deal with excess in such a blunt and cold way, with a tone that borders occasionally on being mournful, that it can't really be grouped in with the more celebratory hip-hop songs about excess which portray it simply as an element of living the good life.

CrowleyHead

Honestly, I get the exact opposite vibes from it. Usually, rap in it's misogyny is very basic and less sadistic "I have money, which lures in girls who are after money, not me."; And Tyler's sadistic moments are balanced with his whole teen-angst thing.

But because he's singing, I feel like people give this dude more allowances. I mean, he's not full of regret when he's talking about how him and his friends 'fuck faces'. Quite the contrary, I do feel that it has tendencies towards glorification.

For me it's like he took all of the borderline sociopath tendencies of Drake, and blew it up to the biggest extreme. I find it fascinating, but I'm just surprised nobody asks him to answer for his lyrics. Again, especially after the Tyler moral crusade going on at the same time.

I'm wondering why people don't give him grief for the stuff he gets away with.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
If he had the in your face personality of Tyler, and was getting as much exposure as Odd Future got on the back of their releases, I'm sure people would pick him up on his lyrics. He's been fairly anonymous though, hasn't done much in the way of big interviews or had many features in mainstream press, so it's only natural that he's yet to be heavily scrutinised for his lyrical content. I'd guess that most journalists would be a bit more sympathetic to indulgent cocaine lyrics than they are to the rape, murder & homophobia that Tyler so often raps about.

Anyway, this video to one of my favourite tracks from the mixtape is great:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
bloody great - resuscitated my interest in new music which has been flagging lately...will chekc out that new Drake too...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Honestly, I get the exact opposite vibes from it. Usually, rap in it's misogyny is very basic and less sadistic "I have money, which lures in girls who are after money, not me."; And Tyler's sadistic moments are balanced with his whole teen-angst thing.

But because he's singing, I feel like people give this dude more allowances. I mean, he's not full of regret when he's talking about how him and his friends 'fuck faces'. Quite the contrary, I do feel that it has tendencies towards glorification.

For me it's like he took all of the borderline sociopath tendencies of Drake, and blew it up to the biggest extreme. I find it fascinating, but I'm just surprised nobody asks him to answer for his lyrics. Again, especially after the Tyler moral crusade going on at the same time.

I'm wondering why people don't give him grief for the stuff he gets away with.

I agree that the fact that he croons all his lyrics and has a somewhat anonymous media presence doesn't draw him as much attention as Tyler, who sort of revels in his controversy. I just don't think that, despite this, he really NEEDS to "answer" for his lyrics. Sure, they are sinister and dark, but so is Lolita.

EDIT: I realize that you actually probably agree with me on this point looking back since you seem to be surprised there hasn't been an outrage, not that there should be one.

Last edited: