Dissensus - The Novel

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've read two.

ONE Dan Brown book, TWO Dan Brown books...there's a pattern here...I think a brave and dashing young mathematician should investigate...

Two Dan Brown = Bar Downtown
One Dan Brown = Bar End On Own

Idlerich = Rich Lied

SO is Idlerich meeting someone at his local OR is he just going by himself - OR is this just all a smokescreen for something all the more sinister, as Idlerich is also Rich Lied!??!?!

FFS - Rich you going to the pub or not?

OK, this is too good an opportunity to miss - who wants to collaborate on a multi-author Dissensian Dan Brown-style mystery thriller? With shades of Cyclonopedia. And ultra-opaque wranglings about the "nuum". And fifty-page threads about the perfect breakfast. With hundredmillionlifetimes as a sort of bogeyman figure that no-one wants to name out loud for fear of an inadvertent invocation...

I whole-heartedly endorse this idea.

http://dissensusthenovel.blogspot.com/

PM me with your email address and I'll add you to the author list if you want to contribute.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
v cool. Can we change it so that the oldest posts are at the top, rather than the bottom, else it's gonna be a nightmare to read.... will contribute anon...

D

droid

If you're really trying to emulate Brown, you need to dumb it down - a lot. Remove all attempts at style or originality. Your prose needs to read like Stephen King on ketamine.

eg:

A voice spoke, chillingly close. "Do not move."

On his hands and knees, the curator froze, turning his head slowly.

Only fifteen feet away, outside the sealed gate, the mountainous silhouette of his attacker stared through the iron bars. He was broad and tall, with ghost-pale skin and thinning white hair. His irises were pink with dark red pupils.

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000844.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
v cool. Can we change it so that the oldest posts are at the top, rather than the bottom, else it's gonna be a nightmare to read.... will contribute anon...

Nah, I reckon the reverse order will just add to the ergodic effect. ;)

Droid, I dunno how Brown-esque I really want to make this - maybe just daft 'symbology' in a Burroughs-esque style - or we could alternate chapters wildly in style, from Beat-prose cut-ups to appallingly stilted thriller-by-numbers hack-work...just play around, I guess.

you

"the infamous Dissensus Novel imploded after just 24 sublime hours of renegade creativity. 'You's' drug abuse, the many power struggles and a schism between the core founders lead to it's demise. 'Droid' attempted to create an offshoot project that would stay true to the strictly Brownian genesis of the original Dissensus Novel project, but sadly, this too failed after just 48 hours due to funding issues and scheduling difficulties."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Perhaps 'oh-god-ic' would be closer to the mark.

I'll write some more presently...stay tuned.

Also, this could get really multi-media if someone wants to knock up an actual 'post-wobble mixtape' which we can link to in the story...

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Maybe a film of someone screaming continuously as a cam in the corner of the screen, for 'ambience'.

Or the shamanic mong-face.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Meanwhile, across town, the dashing and rugged American symbolologist Ben Drown was investigating the brutal murder of renowned, celebrated and famous museum curator Jacques Plotte at the British Museum. It wasn't his job or anything, but the police were kinda stuck and therefore threw all protocol out of the window and asked him to lead the investigation

Plotte had collapsed in a pool of blood in front of a display case full of eighteenth-century porcelain bedpans. In his dying moments he'd managed to smear what looked like a message in his own blood on the front of the case. In rough brown letters (not red, because blood goes brown when it dries, Drown noted sagely) were scrawled the words "OH FUCK". Drown pulled a shamanic mong-face while pondering what this cryptic message could mean.

He was shaken out of his reverie by Plotte's granddaughter, Sexine, who'd rushed to London as soon as she'd heard the terrible news. "'Oo would do such an 'orreeble thing to such an 'armless old man?", she wept, prettily yet snottily.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Inside

It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly a shot rang out.

"I didn't want to kill him" he thought. How many times was it he'd thought that now. He thought back to all of times, all of the earlier times. It was so much easier then, back in the days of fanzines. That's how it had started you know. So much easier then. You just sent a letter from a fake address to John Eden or Paul Meme, you convinced them they had found a brother in arms, someone who too loved Current 93 AND dub reggae. Then came the excuses not to meet, the fake sister's death and the sorry I forgots, I was moving squats. Then you sent another letter, to one of the peripheral ones. You made friends with them, agreed for them to come to an address. A place you'd squatted no-one else knew about.

Then the shot would ring out, hidden by the booming bass.

It was so easy then.

Damn the internet. Damn this surveillance society for making food hard to come by.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
dissensus.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hey yyaldrin, which part of les pays-bas are you in? Shout out from da North Brabant masseev!

Last edited:

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
hadn't expected dutch people on here, nice! i'm from the bulb-area, LOLS. why you not moving away?

nomos

Administrator
i bet those fuckers at ilx don't have a novel about them.

EDIT: this is amazing

dissensus.JPG

Last edited:

slowtrain

We could turn it into one of those ARGs but that might be a bit of a hassle, and not as academically OK as blog.