2Pac hologram

continuum

smugpolice
Pretty impressive technology employed during Snoop Doggs Coachella set to bring 2Pac back to life. Who else would you like to see resurrected in this way?

Roshman

I remember seeing the announcement for this but knew I'd forget to check it out. Glad you posted. It's mental. Have they taken previous footage, or mapped a model to a guy in a ping pong suit and recorded it?

continuum

smugpolice
Not sure. Didn't Gorillaz do something like this before?

I'm assuming that it is some sort of ping pong ball suit CGI hologram with a 2Pac impersonator doing the voice.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Not sure. Didn't Gorillaz do something like this before?

I'm assuming that it is some sort of ping pong ball suit CGI hologram with a 2Pac impersonator doing the voice.

It's Musion (TM) technology. Same as Gorillaz used to use it when they cared. It's not a hologram but I had to sign a waiver form saying I wouldnt say how it's done (seriously!). You can look it up elsewhere and it'll tell you though.

Tupac looks like 3D modelling to me, with voice impersonator.

continuum

smugpolice
via The Washington Post:

'Holograms in concert have a precedence in Japan, where musical groups use them to bring to life animated characters, such as Hatsune Miko. AKB48, the world’s largest pop group according to the Guinness World Book of Records, also has a hologram member.'

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Does open (most likely cringe inducing) possibilities doesn't it?

We'll be able to download a torrent of Sun Ra to play in our kitchens. Give it a few years you'll be stepping into the garage or the 100 club

Benny Bunter

Gets my approval

rimmeer.jpg

petergunn

plywood violin
this is interesting to me, b/c it implies that once you become famous, you essentially relinquish your right to your own being... your persona becomes a commodity that can be repackaged in any way seen fit... like for example, i am pretty sure the ACTUAL 2pac never said the word "coachella" in his life... so, an impersonator? re-edited clips of him talking? regardless, it makes the whole thing creepier to me... just having an image act out words to songs he recorded is one thing, having him speak words he NEVER said is another...

it reminds me of this Coke ad from the 90's w/ bogart, louis armstrong, etc:

now, what if they did that now, but instead of old movie clips had bogart giving a speech about how much he loved coca cola?

when is wu tang going to tour with holo ODB?

continuum

smugpolice
^ lol at that advert.

Clearly there is a hauntology aspect to the whole thing.
The technology used with Tupac even makes him look like a ghost. Quite eerie.

Going back to Hatsune Miku for a moment, the following tune is a banger. Love the crowds in these videos. They proper go mental.