John Wizards

woops

is not like other people
No idea whatsoever, the internet relates merely that it's 3 dudes from South Africa.
I figure it's a new Burial project under an assumed name, or post your own theory below?

Signing up to flaunt some patriotism. I've been listening to this so much.

I stay in Cape Town so I can fill in a bit of background, but not too much as this whole thing is still quite mysterious.

Basically, the three people that make up John Wizards were part of a relatively inoffensive but unremarkable local band from 2008-9 called "Dear John, Love Emma" which sounded like the name does.

This mixtape came out of nowhere, just posted on soundcloud and then sent to a few influential local blogs and DJs before anyone knew who "John Wizards" were/was. I believe they played their first ever gig last weekend.

Unfortunately, this isn't part of a bigger thing but it is indicative of a move away from the rehashing of international trends from a few years ago that has plagued a lot of SA music. Obvious examples of this that are getting some international hype are Petite Noir, Spoek Mathambo and BLK JKS (to list just a few obvious examples), but as I said this came out of nowhere and there's nothing else quite like it at the moment.

Lots of exciting stuff happening in SA music right now.

sufi

lala
nice one naan bread
a lot of the chat on the mix sounds swahili to me, or do my ears deceive?

welcome on board!

Bit of an update - I've now heard a rumour (but a rumour from a pretty trustworthy source) that they've signed to PLANET MU!

Planet Mu signing just confirmed:
535581_364895326935939_558717607_n.png

yusss