EDM

D

droid

tumblr_mg0nmeR6lZ1r3f939o1_500.jpg

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
is that website satire? I never know any more. Sometimes I watch 24 hour news at 3am and don't know whether to laugh or stare

whytea

“The person that invented the term EDM will be put on trial in The Hague for crimes against humanity and hanged with a giant pair of Beats by Dre headphones, his body will be burned and the ashes tipped down the toilets in Berghain” - 2 Bad Mice

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That website justifies the use of 'EDM' by itself.

tumblr_mi6unzDsKX1r3f939o1_500.jpg

there's surprisingly few drug references in the posts, unless I'm missing them. All encoded in posts about 'liking progressive house', I guess.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The idea that house, techno, trance, d'n'b, dubstep etc. etc. can all be conveniently bundled together because they're made mainly using synthesizers and computers and are intended for dancing is about as ludicrous as talking about "guitar music" to mean rockabilly, reggae, punk, indie, stadium rock and death metal.

Having said that, I dunno how many people who consider themselves 'EDM' fans would actually listen to d'n'b - I get the impression it's used mainly to refer either to cheesy trance/house or cheesy cod-dubstep...

IdleRich

IdleRich
That website is great. Also that interview or whatever it is - I listened to "gift from the God's of dance" David Guetta's Titanium as a result - I have to admit that if you were in an arena with 80,000 other ravers completely off their tits then that breakdown or chorus or whatever it is would sound amazing. And you need the crap bit to make that bit stand out. No point in complaining about it I'd say, it does exactly what it sets out to do in creating a huge behemoth of an edmosaurus and if that's the kind of thing you like then that's the kind of thing you like.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thing is, Titanium is pretty great as far as that kind of music goes, but the other stuff mentioned, like Swedish House Mafia, doesn't even do the stupid stadium dance thing well - it's just stupefyingly dull

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
Thing is, Titanium is pretty great as far as that kind of music goes
:eek:

Surely not. Surely Guetta is the blandest, most homogenous example of the EDM trend. Everything in Titanium is sound-a-like; Sia sounds like Riahanna, the kick sidechained like a motherfucker, the lead sounding like every electro-house record made in the last decade. To me, there is nothing even remotely fresh about the sound of this record.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Anything that infuriates the internet as much as EDM does should be applauded

if nu metal was happening now it would get murdered on the internet. that doesn't make it not terrible.

i'm all for tweaking arbiters of good taste but go too far and all of a sudden you're joe muggs singing the praises of brostep

we ain't exactly talking bitches brew angering jazz purists here, I mean. EDM pretty much unequivocally sucks.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
a lot of the stuff I liked when was 15 sucked too, I mean. kids like terrible stuff. true, sometimes they like awesome stuff and you just think it's terrible b/c you're old and don't get it (like all the older 60s rock critics hating black sabbath when it came out). but EDM magically combines all worst traits of dance music - tiesto, brostep, arena house - into one package. it definitely sucks.

americans just don't get dance music. not really. there's always small cults of purists, ok, and homegrown black scenes that get celebrated in europe and japan, but by and large americans en masse just do not get it. in the 70s people literally smashed disco records like freaking dance music nuremberg rallies. dance music gets big here only when it gets MOR and guitarish, i.e. the prodigy/fboy slim in the late 90s or guetta etc the last couple years. don't worry, soon enough the 2015 equivalent of grunge will come along and smash it out of the sky and in ten years c-list comedians will be ripping skrillex on "I love the 10s" on VH1.

D

droid

Its bad enough being in Europe and seeing what's going on over there. You can at least shrug and go 'stupid American kids'. I cant imagine how annoying this would be for US heads who've been involved in a scene for years. Even the horrible 90's PLUR stuff seems eminently credible in comparison.

D

droid

americans just don't get dance music. not really. there's always small cults of purists, ok, and homegrown black scenes that get celebrated in europe and japan, but by and large americans en masse just do not get it. in the 70s people literally smashed disco records like freaking dance music nuremberg rallies. dance music gets big here only when it gets MOR and guitarish, i.e. the prodigy/fboy slim in the late 90s or guetta etc the last couple years. don't worry, soon enough the 2015 equivalent of grunge will come along and smash it out of the sky and in ten years c-list comedians will be ripping skrillex on "I love the 10s" on VH1.

Dont forget Pendulum!