smooth.

luka

smoothness precludes strong emotion. greek statues, faces in repose, without tension. at ease.

PiLhead

but can smoothness become so intensely smooth that it becomes a strong emotion in its own right?

Last edited:

luka

but can smoothness become so intensely smooth that it becomes a strong emotion in its own right?

I suppose I tend to view the smooth (appropriately given its a textural descriptor) as sensation as opposed to emotion. Bathing in warm lotion.

luka

And would distinguish between strong, intensely pleasurable sensation and powerful emotion.

luka

Is it always summer when it's smooth? I would assume so given the melancholy and regret of autumn and winter and the urgency of spring
Kool & The Gang-Summer Madness [HD Sound And Vide…:

PiLhead

smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooth

distant cousin of

Last edited:

luka

Ezra Pound talks about the troubadours in south West France having 'nerve set open' opposed to the rigid defensive posture of the Northern European. A blocking out of data, a shutting down.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
When someone says 'smooth' I think of saxophone, cheesiness. It's kind of an epithet in music, isn't it? Kind of telling, that anything considered slick and lacking in grit is considered inferior, corporate, MOR.

sadmanbarty

That Kool and the Gang track is stunning. A couple of the chords are the same as Donny Hathaway’s ‘Little Ghetto Boy’ and, by extension, Dr Dre’s ‘Lil Ghetto Boy’, but those tracks are too tense to fit this thread's criteria.

Is effortless slickness a prerequisite for smoothness (something that's self-consciously slick, like Jamiroqui, doesn't make the cut)?

One definition of airy is "giving an impression of light gracefulness and elegance". Does this apply to smooth too?

Start at 3.42:

sadmanbarty

Is there a relationship between understated funkiness and smoothness?

Is understated funkiness a manifestation of effortless slickness?