Danny L Presents: Dissensus Listening Club

sadmanbarty

When you flick through it you get this sense that its very much this Dada, Burroughs cut up sample collage. All sounds just coming from all directions and scrunching in on each other like some nutty hardcore track.

But listening to it properly, its actually nothing like that at all. It’s actually just a very slick loop. Smug jazz chords. "In the pocket" drums worthy of the Scorpio theme from dirty harry.

It’s a testament to the 70’s fetish of the 90’s. fender rhodes. funk. the films samples are presumably from the 70’s.

there’s a red light song (from the 90’s) called ‘sensi’ which samples loads of yard tapes, michael rose and a volcano-era reggae thing. it completely encapsulates the jamaican sound world of the era. it distills it and compresses it to the extent that that you’ve got a whole 2 decades of jamaican music contained in this one track; the swampiness of lee perry, heavy dub bass, dancehall drums, ragga chatter, reggae piano, etc.

this comes from the same place, just replacing the impetus jamaican music with 70’s funk and fusion.

sadmanbarty

love a good sonar blip, instantly makes me think of king tubby

very jazz rap bass that is. it sounds like the cover of low end theory looks.

wow that distorted sax snippet in the intro’s great. like a shriek from the most despicable corner of hell.

that high pitched rapping went out of vogue not long after this album. it’s very much evocative of a narrow time period. by the mid-90’s everyone had proper man voices, none of that adolescent stuff. you could say ghostface is like a progression from that sound. where this is rambunctious adolescent vocal delivery, ghostface has taken the same thing but made it more desperate and emotional. actually sounds like my favourite rapper lady of rage.

the sound of this is very much what indicative of ‘the haze’:

https://priapeanlogs.wordpress.com/2020/01/23/the-haze/

sadmanbarty

the same x files sound as this:

this one is very memory rich and evocative.

on the surface it's the sound of being in luke's flat at 1 or 2 in the morning on a week night and just being happy and contented there. just being so pleased to be with this bloke who understands me and inspires me and just sitting together listening to music and chatting bollocks for a couple of hours.

but the instrumental itself reminds me of the theme of the x files. i've never actually seen the show, but as a little kid i'd stay up for hours and hours on weekends and watch these channel 4 'top 100' shows (top '100 funniest moments', 'top 100 songs', etc.). my favourite was top 100 scariest moments. it was really magical being i guess 8 or 9 years old watching all these clips of canonical horror films with exorcisms and ghosts and whatever emanating from the tv while my tired body was at its most suggestive and susceptible. the x files was featured as one of the scariest moments, so that theme tune brings back these very happy, phantasmic memories.

luka

It's also got a cleaness to,it more reminiscent of later stuff (eg gangstarrs mass appeal) it's not as chunky but it's moving in the right direction

luka

It's a slightly haunting, otherworldly loop with a bit of emotional weight to it.

luka

The drums and rapping are perkier than they would be in '94 but in this song I really like that whereas on the rest of the album it's annoying. I think it's offset by that loop basically.nthats what makes it work. I actually like this song a lot. I've listened to it loads.