Arthur Russell Tidbits

Woebot

1981_front.jpg

been wading through the 1981 box set (which gets a thread of its own soon) and came across this necessaires track
which features arthur russell on vocals. its a thoroughly strange listening experience. your hero as front man to the dbs/cars.

also mms what was the vin diesel arthur russell connection and when are you going to sort me out with that rare killer whale mix?

SMorlighem

Main listening these last weeks between Roedelius & Grime (piece finished, hurray!, 2000 words, will it get grime out of its insularity ? I regret the lack of reactivity of PR/label people/Dissensus people, despite Chantelle's precious help), enjoyed it very much while reading 'Rip it Up' (not finished yet, what a feast). I.M. (slsk chat) sent me to this which is very nice (pre australian more sophisticated YMG), and got me into one track in the Suitcase-mp3 cd by Industry, wow!

mms

sometimes
WOEBOT said:
1981_front.jpg

been wading through the 1981 box set (which gets a thread of its own soon) and came across this necessaires track
which features arthur russell on vocals. its a thoroughly strange listening experience. your hero as front man to the dbs/cars.

also mms what was the vin diesel arthur russell connection and when are you going to sort me out with that rare killer whale mix?

vin deisel was an mc and russell produced him, as far as i know it all went tits up,this mix is of an mc on sleeping bag but i don't think its vinny.

Kuma

The Konspirator
Funny Russell should come up, I spent the weekend jamming on Polmo Polpo's cover of "kiss me, kiss me again." this weekend..

totally leftfield but most impressive..

that track is really dreamy, but closer to lets active than dbs, i think. some of the middle tracks on worn copy have a a similar vibe!

O

Omaar

That Necessaires tune is quite lovely. I willl have to track down a higher quality version ...

O

Omaar

....He even briefly produced quirky tracks in the rap world, frustrating young rapper Mark Sinclair who would one day go on to make it as the meat-headed action hero Vin Diesel. ....

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/r/russell_arthur/world-of.shtml

īs this for real?

more on Vin Diesel from IMDB:

During his teens, he performed breakdancing in an instructional video on the subject .... .Is the cousin of rapper/producer Kwame "The Boy Genius". Kwame says if you watch his old videos, you'll see Vin in a few of them.

version

I don't believe it'll be the last one. He's like Bolano. They'll keep finding lost tapes and demos forever.