Post-Thesis Blues

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
I know that there a number of people on here with postgraduate degrees. I submitted my MA for examination about a week and a half ago, and all of a sudden started feeling really anxious. I got ulcers i my mouth, was being kinda rude to my wife and was generally fairly stressed.

I know that none of this is uncommon, but does anyone have any suggestions for how to handle it? :(

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
You're probably partially worried about how it will be received and partially freaking out because you don't have a major deadline hanging over you / don't always have some work to do. Try and assign yourself a short-term project that's about as far away from your thesis as possible to fill up your time and distract yourself from the wait. Maybe paint a room? Build some shelves?

Failing that, there's always booze.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Canada J Soup said:
You're probably partially worried about how it will be received and partially freaking out because you don't have a major deadline hanging over you / don't always have some work to do. Try and assign yourself a short-term project that's about as far away from your thesis as possible to fill up your time and distract yourself from the wait. Maybe paint a room? Build some shelves?

Yeah, that's a good idea. I was going to start trying to turn chapters into articles to send out to journals, but I'm not sure I'm up for that right this second.

Failing that, there's always booze.

Ah, sweet booze.

Rambler

Awanturnik
Distractions good - after my Masters (well, actually the same week as submitting it), I moved house and started a new job. Not the least stressful week of my life, but they each seemed to cancel one another out.

A friend of mine finishing at the same time declared that he was going to 'renounce the Faustian bargain' and learn a trade. Became a brickie.

Booze also figured somewhere....

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Rambler said:
Distractions good - after my Masters (well, actually the same week as submitting it), I moved house and started a new job. Not the least stressful week of my life, but they each seemed to cancel one another out.

A friend of mine finishing at the same time declared that he was going to 'renounce the Faustian bargain' and learn a trade. Became a brickie.

Booze also figured somewhere....

Actually I think that's what happened when I finished my honours year. Moved house and started a new job. I was trying to remember what happened, and couldn't.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to become a brickie. I just don't think I would be very good at it. I'm actually supposed to be starting some research assitant work for my supervisor, but she's been in the US at a conference, so it hasn't happened yet... mostly, I've been watching Deadwood and playing a fairly average computer game.