Debt Reduction Extortion Racket

O

Omaar

In this article Mobiot makes a pretty convincing case that the latest third world debt reduction plan is pretty crap really.

This point made by CADTM here is fairly interesting:

"The financial burden of the operation on rich countries would amount to some 2 billion dollars a year, compared to 350 billion the G8 devote to farming subsidies or 700 billion they spend in military expenditure. Rich countries would thus be willing to spend every year for the announced cancellation half of the amount the US spend every month on their continued occupation of Iraq. Moreover, the US would finance their contribution through their meagre aid for development budget, so they would not even have to find any additional resources. "

Can anyone recommend any recent good books on global political economy?

Preferably not authored by someone with a neoliberal agenda.

Trollbass

ahh to not believe the heart felt pledges of our glorious cheshire cat leader, Tony 'maximus' Blair and chums...

Two good, though not so recent, books are: Empire by Hardt and Negri and Global Transformations.

The first is available online: http://www.sozialistische-klassiker.org/Negri/Negri04.pdf

Such a big subject.

Susan George is a good writer. i particularly like the old, but relevant essay 'The Problem isn't beef, Bananas..' or 'The Five Worlds of Global Capitalism: Inequality, States and Markets in Comparative Perspective' Michael Mann & Dylan Riley

Not sure if this is what you are after.. Let me know if you want these or more.

Trollbass

O

Omaar

Cheers for that, I remember hearing good things about 'empire' and I think I'll have to try and get hold of a copy. :)

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
A 1 percent rise in the level of free trade allowed to African economies would be bigger than wiping off their entire debt.

Not that the amount of money these countries have has anything to do with why their population is starving.