Whitehouse

labrat

hot on the heels of love
suppose many on Dissensus will have heard Whitehouse by now.
If there's one thing i'm sure of it's that everone who has heard them will have an opinion.

I've never heard them described as ''okay''.

john eden

male pale and stale
It would be worth going through the Woebot, k-punk and uncarved blog archives on this topic...

but what do you think of them, labrat?

labrat

hot on the heels of love
like 'em
but the most violent gig I ever went to was a late 80's Whitehouse one .
the instant they went on loads of skins started seig heiling - it kicked off from there.
My fave album is New Britain-possibly their most self consiously ''experimental'' album.
Lots of bands/artists go all out to shock with pitiful results, Whitehouse temper this by their unremitting bleakness.
(at least in their early stages-latterly some humour... re;why you never became a dancer ,wriggle like an eel etc.)

Noah Baby Food

I really like them, think they're very thought-provoking and damn good theatre. find them interesting sonically too. Saw them in Newcastle last year and it was as camp as a row of tents.

Noah Baby Food

I admire the fact that William Bennett has never had a full-time job as far as I know, and has supported himself, probably quite nicely, from the proceeds of Whitehouse since he was 18. Which makes you think, don't it?

I place Whitehouse in a similar place to the Savoy Books stuff, especially the Lord Horror material.

And I fucking LOVE Bennett's motto: "Force The Truth".

Noah Baby Food

Seen that thing in The Wire btw, in the piece about "comedy in experimental music" or something, new issue? Interesting perspective, says the whole thing's been one big pisstake since the start. I don't agree, but I love the ambiguity.

Plus, Philip Best reminds me of an old cockney taxi driver.

john eden

male pale and stale
Noah Baby Food said:
I admire the fact that William Bennett has never had a full-time job as far as I know, and has supported himself, probably quite nicely, from the proceeds of Whitehouse since he was 18. Which makes you think, don't it?

I thought he had an ok job whilst living in Spain for all those years?

Plus it would seem he has an interesting and possibly lucrative side-project going at the moment if recent rumours in a notorious blog are to be believed.

martin

----
john eden said:
I thought he had an ok job whilst living in Spain for all those years?

Plus it would seem he has an interesting and possibly lucrative side-project going at the moment if recent rumours in a notorious blog are to be believed.

Well, we might as well put it here - after all, if Wavis O' Shave could find this forum after a few google searches, I'm sure anyone can - William Bennett uses an alias, 'William Benedict', co-ordinating a 'personal skills training' institute called the Relationship Academy. The Susan Lawly secretary, Florence Detaille, will fix you up with a personal makeover for some miniscule sum like £100, while 'Benedict' coaches you on subjects like 'How To Never Get Rejected!'

http://www.relacademy.freeuk.com/

http://www.relacademy.freeuk.com/metrofeature.htm

martin

----
john eden said:
Fair play to him, though. :D

Oh come on, Mr'Innocent', why don't you come clean about your Wedding Photos operations. Hang on, why is everyne at work pissed except me?

john eden

male pale and stale
martin said:
Oh come on, Mr'Innocent', why don't you come clean about your Wedding Photos operations. Hang on, why is everyne at work pissed except me?

Because they went down the pub at lunch while you googled obscure power electronics groups? :p

Noah Baby Food

hahaha...well there you go! The William Bennett relationship academy eh? i'll check those links... an eye-opener for sure. From the author of "A Cunt Like You"...hehehe

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Noah Baby Food said:
hahaha...well there you go! The William Bennett relationship academy eh? i'll check those links... an eye-opener for sure. From the author of "A Cunt Like You"...hehehe

There's a book in it, perhaps "I'm A Cunt, You're A Cunt".

martin

----
Noah Baby Food said:

They shat their pants when some kids threw a beercan, what are they gonna do when some married 49-year old accountant breaks down in tears and tells them his wife doesn't understand his need to dress as a baby

Noah Baby Food

martin said:
They shat their pants when some kids threw a beercan, what are they gonna do when some married 49-year old accountant breaks down in tears and tells them his wife doesn't understand his need to dress as a baby

hahaha....write an album about it probably...

What does anyone here think about Peter Sotos? Read bits of his stuff. It's a bit like being punched repeatedly in the face for hours until eventually you just can't feel anything.

(it was my pal Karl from Yorkshire Bone who had a fight with Sotos at their last gig in Leeds...Peter was "bringing the drama" out in the crowd and Karl brought the drama right back...he whispered in his ear "it's part of the show" so Karl got stuck in...Sotos wasn't impressed...hehe)

francesco

Minerva Estassi
William Benedict?

I also remember of reading somewhere that Bennet under the pseudonimum of DJ Benetti spins Italo Disco.
Really.

polystyle

Whitehouse '83

What to think of Whitehouse ?

Not that I really listened to the records' ,
but a unit of mine (Will To Power , metal perc and tapes) did two shows with them in NYC bk in April 1983.
First one was at this art loft on 320 W.37th street hired for the 'event' .
Second was @ The Mudd Club with Function Disorder.
It was all ok, some white and pink noise , white man posturing nothing evolutionary or revolutionary,
some part of the audience probably thinking 'well what do we do ? can't dance to this ...' .

We must have gotten the gigs through web of connection the previous year with ol' SPK after they came to NYC and stayed at my place on E 11th.
What we saw and heard of SPK '82 blew WH '83 into a corner .