Devendra Banhart - Cripple Crow

seahorsegenius

It's just me.
dev6aj.jpg

Well, what does everyone think of this? Do you like the change? Effects, a band, and the vocals sound very... not like Devendra, almost like an american 60's acid rock band. But at the same time it seems he's becoming more comfortable with his (Venezuela) roots...alot of the songs are in spanish, and the few acoustic songs definetly have to do with that. The whole thing is giving me this Captain Beefheart vibe right now.

But I'm kind of wondering why he even decided to group it with his solo stuff, there's a band on almost every song. It just seems that taking it to one of his other projects like Vetiver would have been more logical and I think it would fit quite nice with them. But with so much mixing and effects, I think this will suprise (and piss off) alot his fans, since his previous albums were so minimal.

Maybe some of you have some different feelings?

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
some people really like this dude and sing along to his songs in the car. some people think he's a poseur who makes pretty on the surface, no depth, soul-less postmodern appropriations of stuff. me I couldn't really give a damn either way.

In Moll

Sounds decent, but I was hoping he'd move in a different direction than this. It sounds as if the tunes have been stripped of the vocal/lyrical curiosities that made the first few albums such a joy (esp. Oh Me Oh My...) Also it seems the more accompaniment he builds around his tunes, the emptier they actually sound.

This one won't be on Young God in the US?

S

simon silverdollar

cover looks wicked, like some southern gothic version of acid mother's temple sleeve designs.

seahorsegenius

It's just me.
confucius said:
some people think he's a poseur who makes pretty on the surface, no depth, soul-less postmodern appropriations of stuff.
And why would people think that? This is music, not junior high...