The realisation that you don't really like house music much any more...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
I came to it on saturday... when i say house music, i also mean techno and what have you. i get really bored in clubs now, especially when the whole evening is one thing, no variation in speed, tempo, rhythm structure (it's not like that at hip-hop/ragga/grime things!). i don't even like the way people dance to this sort of stuff any more, it's kinda half-arsed and like they can't be bothered to really dance. yup, 4/4 club music, i'm through with you... anyone else feel the same?

Last edited:

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I can see yr point, but I haven't had a boogie at a decent house club for nearly 2 years.../I reckon house it too mutational by nature to get really boring, I don't mind all the daggy rock-house stuff if it's done well, but there defintely hasn't been any really ass-blowing work since fuck , I dunno that 1st Luomo rec, or maybe some of the DFA traxx. But give it another 6 months and there'll be some other mutation. grunge house or maybe a more refined version of the Fatboyslim/Pebble garage rock thing. some of the riddim traxx on those old SOnics numbers are vertibrae wrecking!

The R&S stuff still moves me, but it's reggae/house

bassnation

the abyss
stelfox said:
I came to it on saturday... when i say house music, i also mean techno and what have you. i get really bored in clubs now, especially when the whole evening is one thing, no variation in speed, tempo, rhythm structure (it's not like that at hip-hop/ragga/grime things!). i don't even like don't like the way people dance to this sort of stuff any more, it's kinda half-arsed and like they can't be bothered to really dance. yup, 4/4 club music, i'm through with you... anyone else feel the same?

well, i still love house music but for me, its more fatique from listening to so much of it over the last 15 years - i've basically reached saturation point.

not particularly into the direction its taken right now with the electro house tierschwarz (or however you spell it) kind of gear either.

for me, the mid-nineties stuff seems somehow embaressing, but i guess its all too close to get the right perspective on it, or to feel any kind of nostalgia. i'd like to think that one day i'll rediscover it when the time is right.

having said that, every time i go round my techno producer mates house, he plays me loads of obscure techno from net labels which is very innovative and fresh-sounding, even crossing over with some grimey rhythms and ideas - but i haven't heard this kind of music played out in clubs, in london at least.

still enjoy taking ecstasy and going dancing, but not to house or techno anymore.

bassnation

the abyss
stelfox said:
the whole evening is one thing, no variation in speed, tempo, rhythm structure

also, depends on the artist - some mates went to see monolake play in london the other day and you could never accuse him of the one speed / no variation thing - i've even got one of his records with a 2-step rhythm.

hes not everyones cup of tea mind - if the idea of sweeping alien soundscapes sounds boring to you hes probably not your thing :)

stelfox

Beast of Burden
it was actually tiefschwarz that i was listening to and for the 1st time in a good couple of years, i had swallowed a couple of things that were supposed to have enhanced the whole experience. i just found myself incredibly bored and it looked like most other people were too. i really wanted the music to slow down and change around every now and again. no, i just really honestly think i've had enough of house music, for good

bassnation

the abyss
stelfox said:
it was actually tiefschwarz that i was listening to and for the 1st time in a good couple of years, i had swallowed a couple of things that were supposed to have enhanced the whole experience. i just found myself incredibly bored and it looked like most other people were too. i really wanted the music to slow down and change around every now and again. no, i just really honestly think i've had enough of house music, for good

do you feel the same about the older, classic house music from the late eighties / early nineties? i find when someone drops something like marshall jefferson "move your body" it still sends tingles down my spine in a way that contemporary house doesn't. this might just mean i'm a sad old bastard though ;)

3underscore

stelfox said:

I think this may be down to tiefschwarz - out of all the music coming out classified as house / techno or whatever, I really don't buy the tiefschwarz thing. they get a lot of love, but I find them really boring.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
it might have been their fault, but i went into a south london pub the other day with a friend and and after about a pint, they started playing "funky house" (aaaaarrrrrrgggghhh!) . it did my fucking nut in so much i had to sit outside or leave. if it had been 2step or r&b or something else, i'd have probably stayed because it was a friday night and "that sort of pub" (to be honest when i go to a pub i'd rather have no music, old men in caps with dogs, pork pies and pickled onions sold behind the bar, brown beer etc but hey...) but my reaction to it was pretty visceral like "i cannot bear this, i have to leave now" in pretty much the way i hate bad rock music like razorlight or something like that.
re yr old classics, marc, i'm not keen on listening to any house music when i'm out, really. i still love playing them for myself at home every now and again, though.

Last edited:

hint

party record with a siren
Swag's Tonic Radio Show is where it's at for me right now, when it comes to house. They mix it up as far as styles go, but the house material is always a bit wonky and ruff. I find some of this new UK stuff really exciting.

S

simon silverdollar

i'm feeling totally the opposite, after 3 days of sancho panza at The Glade.

electro-house i still can't quite make my mind up about though.

has anyone heard the new ivan smagghe fabric mix? it's a bit bleh.

mms

sometimes
i actually feel more optimistic about it than i have done in a while - although your bad night was probably done to tiefshwartz being not very good in the first place really.
there is less good stuff around though but the stuff that is good is excellent, but doesnt get the exposure really.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
yeah, it's not just that though. the whole blueprint for house music, the structure of the rhythms, the entire culture that goes with it is pretty much designed to annoy me at the moment. i really think i've had enough of it!

borderpolice

I'm totally with you! i cannot bear the straight bass drum any more, except that i feel like that since about 1995 after too many rhythmically dull full moon raves in SE asia and Lost nights in London. since, i have walked out of many a club if they don't have more to offer!

for a dare i produced a straight 4/4 techno track the other day, just to see if i could handle it. still feeling dirty!

and yet, there's no music i've loved as much as techno/house in the crazy early 1990s.

Last edited:

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
hahahaha shit... you think you've had it with house? check out this!

my friend worked at a bar which played almost exclusively "funky house"

in the end free drinks just werent enough
can someone elxplain why EVERY track has to have a saxophone in it?

also, on a side note, just set up a studio with a mate in an enclosed booth within a 4/4 record store, behind one way mirror windows! its funny to see le clientel preen and fix themselves in the mirror from behind it haha

mms

sometimes
stelfox said:
yeah, it's not just that though. the whole blueprint for house music, the structure of the rhythms, the entire culture that goes with it is pretty much designed to annoy me at the moment. i really think i've had enough of it!

ahh polyrhymic possesion ;)
i know what you mean - the 4 4 drum can totally turn me off sometimes but sometimes its just everything i want - btw have you heard that portable cd on scape records - south african techno with an african kind of polyrhymic thing going on, sort of like a warmer funkier jeff mills with deeper timbres and more spiralling rhythm?

borderpolice

mms said:
ahh polyrhymic possesion ;) btw have you heard that portable cd on scape records - south african techno with an african kind of polyrhymic thing going on, sort of like a warmer funkier jeff mills with deeper timbres and more spiralling rhythm?

as beautiful as it is, that record is not particularly polyrhythmic. and you wouldnt even know that
it samples african stuff (if it does) if you weren't told.

dominic

Beast of Burden
what about broken beats and nu jazz stuff?

i.e., not delivered in a downbeat fashion

but rather pitched up to +6 or +8

femi kuti, p'taah, some naked music, 4hero, john beltram, etc

i don't play or buy this stuff, but a good friend of mine does -- i'm starting to see the appeal, think it rhymically interesting, "cool breeze" refreshing in overall feel, kinda groovy, etc

obvious argument against it is that it's jazz feel and instrumentation appeal to "middle brow" notions of musical sophistication -- but this assessment is perhaps a bit too knee-jerk and cliched at this stage of game

and yet this is all still "house" music -- but the rhythm is different, the ups and downs closer to breakbeat hardcore in structure

mms

sometimes
borderpolice said:
as beautiful as it is, that record is not particularly polyrhythmic. and you wouldnt even know that
it samples african stuff (if it does) if you weren't told.

its more polyrhythmic than straight 4/4 (tiefshwartz for instance ) in that it works itself up into circular rhythms and layering different length bars over each other etc and it has a lush timbral feeling to it that sounds particularily african to my ears, as wel las samples of african instruments, plus i didn't know the creator was african until i read on the net .

But thank you for your corrections i will take them on board.

personally i can stand 4/4 more than i can stand bloddy electro!

Last edited:

dominic

Beast of Burden
mms said:
ipersonally i can stand 4/4 more than i can stand bloddy electro!

yeah, i think the electro thing is played out at this point

early 80s references, italo/electro, coldness, distance, irony -- all done for

still think there's room, however, to reinvestigate the "disco not disco" end of the early 80s -- i.e., polyrhythms combined with sampladelic quirkiness and fun

i was struck by the remark on the new "house is a feeling" blog featuring tim f, dubplatestyle, etc, that house music still has untapped "hippy" resources!!! -- i'm not sure what the writer meant exactly -- but it made me flash on early san franciso sound -- i.e., maybe update the early sf sound to make it more polyrhythmic??? maybe speed the bpm's up???

but if that were to happen, would it be mere confirmation that we're stuck in the same rat maze, going back and forth b/w coldness and irony, on the one side, and cosmic hippy-dippy positivity, on the other

yet so long as grime (and uk 'ardcore more broadly) goes in a hip hop direction, then a re-worked cosmic "cali" sound might well be the most viable direction for dance music proper

mms

sometimes
dominic said:
yeah, i think the electro thing is played out at this point

early 80s references, italo/electro, coldness, distance, irony -- all done for

still think there's room, however, to reinvestigate the "disco not disco" end of the early 80s -- i.e., polyrhythms combined with sampladelic quirkiness and fun

i was struck by the remark on the new "house is a feeling" blog featuring tim f, dubplatestyle, etc, that house music still has untapped "hippy" resources!!! -- i'm not sure what the writer meant exactly -- but it made me flash on early san franciso sound -- i.e., maybe update the early sf sound to make it more polyrhythmic??? maybe speed the bpm's up???

funny you mention italo's coldness - i think alot of it is pretty sexy and warm, lots of cosmic references and outer space stuff, it's just thin and brittle .
there seems to be a few records getting excited about the kinda disco not disco kinda thing rather than just doing stomping remixes of it , stuff like ark as well i think takes quite a fresh take on house