Bitter misanthropes complain about Fabric (and viewpoints on other clubs)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
To divert the virulent anti-Fabric sentiment away from other threads, all bitter discourse against substandard clubbing experiences should be directed here.

More positively, i don't think there's another club thread on the board for discussing the best nightspots to be at in 2004 across the Dissensus diaspora, so how's about we do that here?

xero

was minusone
good - somewhere I can legitimately air what is hopefully my last gripe about fabric which is that one quality my girlfriend values highly in a venue is the ability to move around unmolested by predatory teenage boys - and she's 39 ferchrissakes!

S

simon silverdollar

i like fabric. never had any bad experiences with wankers there, but i have heard that it's pretty difficult to go there and have a good time as a single woman on a friday night...

mms

sometimes
almost got kicked in by a bouncer first time i went there after he was kicking me and i said "yes i will move but do you mind being a bit more reasonable"

noticed last time that bounces would randomly pick people from the qweue and tell them they had qweue jumped even if they were with a bunch of friends.
it's hard to navigate around but it's got a good brave music policy.
ps even someone that works there admited they've got a few issues with rogue bouncers so it's not just me.

best nightclub is easily plastic people, the owner has amazing taste and puts on what he wants and the soundsystem is amazing. the end is good as well, its improved greatly recently, great soundsystem too.

Last edited:

xero

was minusone
mms said:
best nightclub is easily plastic people, the owner has amazing taste and puts on what he wants and the soundsystem is amazing. the end is good as well, its improved greatly recently, great soundsystem too.

i'd like to know more about improvements at the end because i stopped going there as well despite some tempting line-ups. It was for two reasons, one that more than once I have been there with people who were supposed to be on the guest list with additional numbers and at the door they claimed that it was just them so everyone else had to pay full price. This is a trick that door people sometimes try on and once when challenged to show the list it turned out to be bullshit. Everything at the end seems to be outrageously priced, I know it's the west end but they still take the piss. And the bar shuts at 2 but mysteriously, some priveliged people seem to be able to buy drinks until the end - what a wind-up

I know it seems like whingeing but going out in London ain't cheap, why shouldn't you expect to be treated well?

Herbal on kingsland road is good for generally the same reasons as PP: nice owner, ace system for a small venue & a bar you can afford to drink at

luka

i'm much too old to go clubbing but in my younger days i quickly realised going out in central london is shit. there's no vibe whatsoever. too many toursits and too many posuers. plus the music is shit. the best nights i had were at places like eq in stratford. heartless crew at eq in about 99. nothing in central can match something like that ever.local clubs. people who know their music and are out to have a good time.

mms

sometimes
replying to minus one
yeah i'm a bit changed on my opinion cos i've had some shit times there. bouncer pressure and that too, but the whole bouncers being assholes thing and guestlists being fucked over seems to be okn now , i think it is better cos the promoters seem to be doing the lists instead, i feel your pain tho, i got on the list for the roll deep thng at fabric and waited an hour and a half, grim. :mad:

everything is still pretty expensive at the end i'd agree.
it just seems to be a nicer place to visit now.

yeah i'd agree with luca that places on the outskirts are fun, the dungeons and the arches at london bridge, wang at the premises on hackney road , but i have a better night if the soundsystem is top notch

xero

was minusone
mms said:
yeah i'd agree with luca that places on the outskirts are fun, the dungeons and the arches at london bridge, wang at the premises on hackney road , but i have a better night if the soundsystem is top notch

wang at the dungeons was great for two sessions but now they've pulled out til new years

the problem with clubs near the centre of town is they can get away with relying on tourist trade and don't need to please regulars - the best atmospheres in clubs imho are when the same people go week after week, i guess that's why they're called clubs

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
clubs, best avoided in my opinion, converted old Boozers like Brixton's Bar Lorca(Old White Horse was), Black Swan, Bristol are OK but how long will they last before they're tarted up?

going out always seems to cost more than you think, why give your money to those people who see music as a way for profit??

Anyone in clapham for the Halloween Synthetic Circus will agree with me i'm sure.