Best Soft Cell album

what's your favourite Soft Cell LP?

• Total voters

john eden

male pale and stale
Which is your favourite?

Non-stop Erotic Cabaret - the hits! "kuh dung dung!". The eye-liner!, plus Sex Dwarf 'n' that! Were you beaten up in the playground for liking this stuff instead of Motorhead?

Non-stop Ecstatic Dancing - remixes! Cindy Ecstacy in pre-acid house MDMA referencing! really loooooooooong tracks! Did you get on down to all this at Danceteria whilst off your nut on pills?

The Art of Falling Apart - the "mature" one. Housewive's fantasies, teenage angst, strippers! Plus bonus 12" with Martin and dodgy Hendrix medley! Can you sing along with this whole album, even to the extent of instinctively knowing how long the gaps between tracks are?

This Last Night in Sodom - the gutter-growly "recording contract terminating" messed up one. Down in the Subway, "we could go out for dinner... but we're always on drugs"! Did you once feebly agree with a fanciable goth girl that this was your favourite because she said she liked it?

Something else - make your case for patchily put together compilations of demos, live tracks b-sides, etc. Oh and stuff they recorded since the reunion, which I know nothing about.

Vote Early! Vote Often with multiple log-ins! Vote Now!

Tell us why...

Last edited:

labrat

hot on the heels of love
little rough rhinestone takes me back to another time/another place and the rest of "sodom" is great too.
(you wouldn't get battered in a Wigan playground for liking them cos' of the Tainted love cover; hence-a cloak of invincibility for their fans.)

john eden

male pale and stale
labrat said:
little rough rhinestone takes me back to another time/another place and the rest of "sodom" is great too.
(you wouldn't get battered in a Wigan playground for liking them cos' of the Tainted love cover; hence-a cloak of invincibility for their fans.)

Nice one, I have to say that "Sodom" does seem to be the Soft Cell fan's Soft Cell album, but it never grabbed me like "Falling" did.

I once got told off for playing "Down in the subway" out, because a friend of a friend of a friend had recently topped themselves on the tube.

What I like about "Sodom" is its density and sheer self-destructiveness - it's like they didn't really care about Soft Cell at that point and were just going for it.

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
uhm... err... Non Stop Erotic Cabaret...

No! Dancing! At least it's the one i listen to most.

Mind, i'm going to have to confess to not having really explored further; The Art of Falling Apart is so ubiquitous in second hand stores that i always flick past - "i can pick that up another time".

john eden

male pale and stale
Justify your love, people! Dissensus is more than a tick in a box... :p

LRJP! said:
uhm... err... Non Stop Erotic Cabaret...

No! Dancing! At least it's the one i listen to most.

Mind, i'm going to have to confess to not having really explored further; The Art of Falling Apart is so ubiquitous in second hand stores that i always flick past - "i can pick that up another time".

"The Art of Falling Apart" is completely essential, especially if you don't have to pay full whack for it (I think it's only a fiver for the CD on Amazon, for chrissakes). Really superby songs which pick up the themes from the first album and run away with them. Plus ace Dave Ball electronic bizness which is fuller than the 1st album and yet more deranged.

One of my favourite albums ever, the more I think about it.

martin

----
'Cabaret' for me. Who hasn't woken up in Bedsitland at 4pm on a dark winter's day, pondering the futility of existence, before jumping in the bath and getting ready to go out again? Who hasn't run around in a furry anorak, annoying people by going "wooo-oooo-ooo-ooo-oo / wooo-oooo-oooo-ooo / wooo-oooo-oooo-ooo-ooo / SEX DER-VORF!"? Who hasn't laughed their heads off at the front cover photo? Practically everyone I know, and I'm sure their lives are poorer for it.

But regardless of album, you had a pop group who basically invented E binges, were managed by a retard who wore surgical gloves and who managed to write some of the most eloquent proletariat lyrics in the history of electropop. Fuck DAF, Soft Cell ruled.

owen

i'm saying 'dancing' cos the version of 'memorabilia' is the hotness (cindy ecstacy! oh my god!) and cos i used to mix the rap bit ('i mean the love that really rocks') in with zeigenbock kopf's 'sex with a man' when i used to be allowed to dj in public.

.....also (shame-faced here...) cos its the only soft cell LP i have....

but everything martin says is true (except for the bit about DAF)

john eden

male pale and stale
martin said:
But regardless of album, you had a pop group who basically invented E binges, were managed by a retard who wore surgical gloves and who managed to write some of the most eloquent proletariat lyrics in the history of electropop. Fuck DAF, Soft Cell ruled.

Yes!

But you're all wrong about "oh I prefer the early stuff". Dammit!

Now, who's for a Marc and the Mambas thread?