Tzadik

Eric

Mr Moraigero
More from Pitchfork, this time on Afrirampo, a band from my new home town. :)

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/a/afrirampo/kore-ga-mayaku-da.shtml

Sounds (slightly) interesting if a little played-out already.

I find Tzadik interesting as an entity. As an old Japanese noise head I used to pick up one of their releases every now and then, and---invariably---was disappointed. Almost everything they put out I find self-indulgent and dull, and even did back when I was into the genre. Mike Patton record? Zorn & Eye "Nani Nani"? Case almost closed. There is the occasional worthwhile thing---I did like the Otomo Yoshihide record they put out quite awhile ago---but something being on that label is pretty much enough for me to choose to ignore it, these days. Question: How does Tzadik continue to exist? Are people actually buying enough of these things? Guess so. I'm a little out of touch with that scene these days but I wonder if there are any labels out there who actually put out `music' in this genre that is consistently interesting.

zhao

there are no accidents
I think Zorn is backed by wealthy jews. and maybe wealthy japs too.

masada is fucking out of this world amazing though.

yes most are unlistenable... occasionally there are a few outstanding Tzadik releases. (agree with Yoshihide)

francesco

Minerva Estassi
Zorn said that with Tzadik they loose money every year, but will continue to put out records because they love to do so.

Tzadik records I like:
Baley : Ballads
Merzbow : 1930 (if you only want one Merzbow record this is the one!), Sphere
Otomo : Anode, Cathode
Naked City : the box set

mms

sometimes
i got that afrirampo in my shop and it's pretty good but totally what you expect.
the new japan series is pretty damn hot really i think.

jd_

What do you guys feel about their covers being in that really consistant format all the time?

zhao

there are no accidents
francesco said:
Baley : Ballads

this one was from Tzadik?!?!?!

wow. I have a burnt copy from a friend and had no idea... it is probably my favorite (most accessible?) of Bailey's work... gorgeous. (uh oh... what is that you say? we need a thread about improv? :) )

that japanese harp player is amazing too. forget her name.

and yeah Naked City is crazy good shit. first one is the best though. and that 20 minute drone one was wicked (the one with no text on the packaging whatsoever).

I like the covers, consistently quality.

mms

sometimes
out of all zorns stuff i really liked cartoon, also loved the naked city stuff, really good.

MiltonParker

as a consumer I almost sympathize with you; there's a lot to distrust. uselessly hyperbolic ad copy on every foldover; flooding the market (so many releases, and seemingly the only thing most record stores will fill their 'experimental' sections with, to the detriment of smaller labels); and... when you have such a distinctively recognizable graphic template uniting the releases, you almost subconsciously associate that with a strict curatorial vision, a taste filter you can rely on. but no, Zorn's priority is with paying the artist up front (generally unheard of at this level) and giving them excellent distribution.

so it's up to you to grow a brain and know what you're shopping for; zorn's signing his friends & heroes, but you learn to respect his calls. and tzadik has put out so much (several... hundred?) that criticising the bad calls is like criticizing warner brothers for putting out something you don't like. even if 'warners' still existed, and still took risks releasing anything fringe...

MiltonParker

I think this is a respectable list for any record label, from memory

maryanne amacher 'sound characters' (first commercial release of any amacher album, after 30-40 years of work -- thanks zorn, I know it couldn't have been easy!)
otomo yoshihide 'anode' 'cathode'
arnold dreyblatt 'animal magnetism'
gordon mumma 'live electronic music' (absurdly great)
eyvind kang - all three, especially 'story of iceland'
christian wolff 'burdocks'
luc ferrari 'cellule 75'
merzbow '1930'
fred frith 'pacfica' 'clearing'
melt-banana live album
dion mcgregor flies again
tom cora 2 CD tribute
my favorites by sharp, zeena, ikue, shea, curran may be on other labels, but... no surprise to see them all here on tzadik

any album containing a 20 minute loop of a ceaseless looped scream entitled 'bad hawkwind' = genius, even if unlistenable.

there's many i didn't like, but I'm not going to mention them here, find out yourself

Eric

Mr Moraigero
for the record I didn't buy the Mike Patton album :)

MiltonParker said:
so it's up to you to grow a brain and know what you're shopping for;

i.e. don't trust the label unthinkingly, aka standard shopping (not just records) technique? Sounds reasonable. Though when I eventually did I realized that I rarely listened to most of the Tzadik/Zorn/avant stuff I had, and pretty much left it alone. except for a few things that aren't too hyperintellectual ... a very ridiculous set by AMM helped with that too. half the hall literally asleep, the other half raving intense. pretty silly. now I should sit back and wait to get bombed I guess.

The best Naked City for me is still Torture Garden by a long shot. Short espresso shots ... I saw a Russell Haswell set awhile back and in the midst of his laptop tweaking he dropped in that one track with Eye, title forgotten ... great.

zhao

there are no accidents
know what I really dig? Ottomo Yoshihide's New Jazz Quintet. I have the one called Dreams something. can't find the other ones though... but I don't think they're on Tzadik? or are they?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I bought one of those 'new punk Klezmer' records a few years ago to get in touch with my lapsed Jewishness, and found it to be unlistenable - music so pretentious and well played and 'correct' that it lacked an important ingredient - soul - like chicken yoach made from stock cubes instead of leached over time from boiling chicken carcasses and carrots and celery.

I'd still like to buy some more Tzadik product, but I'm not sure there's anything really essential on the label - could some of you informed folk please point me in the right direction.
Maybe they should do re-issues of 'lost' authentic Klezmer records of pre and post-War Europe and America (if they have already, then I retract everything I've said), like say a label like Revanant do, rather than bask in the most supreme wank of post-modern identity politricks. And Zorn should stick to what he does best - the jazz.

Tobias

Take Masada

But if you want to hear John Zorn play Jazz - get one of the Masada Live Albums. The whole identity politics aside: that's great Jazz. In the Ornette Coleman tradition. I discovered them just recently and can't stop listening. Especially "Live At The Tonic" is great. It's Jazz with a little Klezmer melody on top.

zhao

there are no accidents
Buick6 said:
I bought one of those 'new punk Klezmer' records a few years ago to get in touch with my lapsed Jewishness, and found it to be unlistenable

Zorn should stick to what he does best - the jazz.

don't knock all of the Hsidic new wave, there are quality material that came out of that. Greg Wall put out a few good records, and some of the others I dont remember their names...

I am fucking obsessed with masada. own 1,2,3,6,8,9 and 10. live in Jeruselem, Hong Kong, and some other place... I like the studio albums better than live. such a solid "umph" sound. and some of those other things like Masada for strings or guitars can be good too. the "Voices in the WIlderness" compilation of other people interpreting masada material is well worth your time as well.

there's this zorn solo album called REd something or other... very minimal and drone-y. love it.