Carnival Action

run_time

Anybody got any thoughts to share on Carnival...had a great time bumping along to some of the roots sound systems although would have loved to have caught some other sounds than the usual assortments.

Found it quite interesting watching the crowd - fun and not too much aggro but you get the feeling that attendance is more likely to be dictated by class than race despite its billing. guess it should be taken as a positive indicator in this multicultural country, but would imagine there would be more than a few of my co workers who'd turn their noses up at roughing it with the 'great unwashed'

anyone else make it down

S

simon silverdollar

i was there. hung round sancho panza for a little bit, but we got there late so the music ended really soon after we got there.
does anyone know what went on with the 1extra Rampage system? it was all cordoned off by police when i got there.

I randomly caught some footage of Bear Man on Axe FM yesterday at what must of been the Rampage system. Looked totally rammed.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Rampage rocked on monday when i was there, bangin out MsDynamite, cutting the bass and generally whipping up the crowd, it was rammed and sounded great in the middle of those tall terraced flats. Saw a bit a beef further down right in front of a stage with MC telling everyone to calm down with little effect!, Channel One system is really timeless still.

gumdrops

anyone know what the big tunes were this year? any grime hits? did murkle man do well?! pow still seemed to go down amazingly well in rampage's set.

jk_gabba

gabba survivor
Yeh 1xtra looked closed when i passed it on sunday, it felt like something had just happened, maybe just over crowding..

S

simon silverdollar

according to the BBC website, 2 people were stabbed at the 1extra stage, so the police had to close it.

h-crimm

stormin was at 'this jeneration' sound system (bit of a misnomer tho for the rest ofthe day) on powis terrace for a while on monday, apparently he was callin for trim....

S

simon silverdollar

are you back in london then, h-crimm? we must meet up.

stormin shouldn't call out trim, that's just silly. has he forgotten what happened the first time?

h-crimm

yeah i just moved back, america is insane and i am never living there ever again.

i didnt actually see it, nick told me... the sound system is right outside mirandas house. it was a foolish thing to do tho

bun-u

Trumpet Police
simon silverdollar said:
i was there. hung round sancho panza for a little bit, but we got there late so the music ended really soon after we got there.
does anyone know what went on with the 1extra Rampage system? it was all cordoned off by police when i got there.

I was down at rampage when something happened. Seemed to be going well, bruza came on and spat a few bars, then I went off to meet a mate on portabella and came back the dj was telling everyone to calm down and then all of a sudden about 1000 people turned and starting rushing towards me. People were talking about someone pulling out a piece, but my mate reckoned the dj pulled out a indie record…

martin

----
I mostly stuck to the All Saints Road, went up to listen to Glady Wax for a bit and the drumming under the Westway. Some bloke was body-popping to Herbie Hancock later on, near the Thai Rice stall. Does anyone know the name of the sound system with 'Indian Paul' MCing on it, cos that was the best this year in my humble but seldom wrong opinion

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I was at Rampage when something happened too, although I'd just wandered in coincidentally. It was after Bear Man did a nifty PA, and Rampage were asking security to get someone out. Then suddenly everyone was turning round and running away from the stage. I immediately thought that it wasn't simply a matter of a fight, as people tend to back away from a fight rather than turn round and stampede, which is what happened here. I had a very good time at the carnival otherwise though.

Bit annoying that I can't find Bear Man's PA anywhere on the 1xtra audio of the carnival. oh well.

luka

i was there for beer man and it was hell. too crowded. police were on it too. cameras everything. not worth it.. will never go down that road again. too much.went channel 1 as usual. you can't play grime at carnival, its not worth it. people go too mad and theres too many eldery people and children for that to really run.